Fender American Original '60s Finish

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
At the risk of getting flamed...

Some type of reflection would be necessary for us to see ripples in a finished surface through a photo, whether that reflection is just light or some object(s). I believe he took the picture with the linear shapes (blinds and upper window frame?) deliberately composed so we could easily see what he's talking about. There is evidence all over the top of the body showing that there is surface undulation. I see no problem in the execution of the photo and it's exactly what should be seen with a glossy, but rippled surface.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
At the risk of getting flamed...

Some type of reflection would be necessary for us to see ripples in a finished surface through a photo, whether that reflection is just light or some object(s). I believe he took the picture with the linear shapes (blinds and upper window frame?) deliberately composed so we could easily see what he's talking about. There is evidence all over the top of the body showing that there is surface undulation. I see no problem in the execution of the photo and it's exactly what should be seen with a glossy, but rippled surface.

Not flaming you but how can you see ripples in a finish with ripple from the reflection of the blinds or whatever is causing the reflection ripples. It’s also on the pickguard too so I’m really not sure how anyone can see what’s going on?

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I did almost mention the pickguard and probably should have left that sentence in my previous post. The pickguard really isn't too bad. You can see where the deflection has occurred from the mounting screw(s) being tightened. We've all seen pickguards that look like this but maybe not realized it.

When looking at what's called a foreshortened object, especially one with a light source behind and above it, surface undulation becomes incrementally more visible as the angle of the object increases, and as viewing distance increases. I have BA in Studio Art, with an emphasis on photorealism, and stuff like this is elemental for the art world.

Sure, I can't necessarily convince someone of the above, based on that single photo, but I sincerely doubt that his blinds would be rippled, bent, melted, and broken apart.

My intent is not at all to instigate any kind of animosity and I hope that doesn't happen :)

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
I did almost mention the pickguard and probably should have left that sentence in my previous post. The pickguard really isn't too bad. You can see where the deflection has occurred from the mounting screw(s) being tightened. We've all seen pickguards that look like this but maybe not realized it.

When looking at what's called a foreshortened object, especially one with a light source behind and above it, surface undulation becomes incrementally more visible as the angle of the object increases, and as viewing distance increases. I have BA in Studio Art, with an emphasis on photorealism, and stuff like this is elemental for the art world.

Sure, I can't necessarily convince someone of the above, based on that single photo, but I sincerely doubt that his blinds would be rippled, bent, melted, and broken apart.

My intent is not at all to instigate any kind of animosity and I hope that doesn't happen :)
Ummm, well...I hate you:whistling::p

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta

Have you ever lived in a older house with old windows or had a aftermarket windshield installed. Uneven or deformed glass with have a distorted reflection.

I’m not trying to cause a argument or convince anyone anything. Just how can anyone judge the finish by that photo. Just one huge guess. Get a pic with reflection but a sold light source, not already adding distortion.

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The area that @Pandamasque circled is something that would likely require image manipulation software like Photoshop if it wasn't actual ripples. OP, is that what you did? :sneaky:

@Intune, I respect your posts. I often agree with your input in various discussions I read on S-T. Maybe I should've just left some of this stuff alone, for the sake of the thread. I just wanted to help clarify things.

I lived for a few years in a house that was about 90 years old. It had terrible windows and blinds that had started chemically breaking down and basically melted into a sticky, malleable mess over a fairly short period. They were probably about 40 years old and had direct sunlight for many hours each day. If that's the situation the OP is in, he's free to do with them as he pleases, but ours deteriorated in a consistent manner, not distinct, highly individual shapes for each slat. I've also had an aftermarket windshield but it was surprisingly more uniform than some OEM ones. I actually wish I could remember the name of the company that installed it. They gave me a good price :)

@evansj87, care to post more pictures of that spot above the neck pickup?

evansj87

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 12, 2019
Augusta Township, MI
I'm assuming it's this. It's like the finish has ripples like you'd see on a tarp or something.

View attachment 584366
This is exactly what I am talking about. If you look at the guitar at an angle in the light you will see ripples across the top of the guitar like this. I have owned many strats, but never seen anything like this. If you run your finger across it you will feel your finger go up and down the waves as well. So you can definitely feel it. Trying to understand if it's a poor sanding job or what is going on. 🤷🏼‍♂️

evansj87

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 12, 2019
Augusta Township, MI
Have you ever lived in a older house with old windows or had a aftermarket windshield installed. Uneven or deformed glass with have a distorted reflection.

I’m not trying to cause a argument or convince anyone anything. Just how can anyone judge the finish by that photo. Just one huge guess. Get a pic with reflection but a sold light source, not already adding distortion.
If you look closely from this angle, just straight light in the room, you'll notice the wavy look to it. This is what I am referring to. On top of that, you can actually feel it.

Attachments

• PXL_20220812_175248000.jpg
    PXL_20220812_175248000.jpg
    114.1 KB · Views: 72

evansj87

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 12, 2019
Augusta Township, MI

The window thing makes sense to me, but the fact that you can actually feel this kind of tosses that out the window.

Intune

Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
If you look closely from this angle, just straight light in the room, you'll notice the wavy look to it. This is what I am referring to. On top of that, you can actually feel it.

Okay now that’s a picture that rules out any distorted window covering interference. If you put a straight edge on it, I bet that would show even better. Send that pic to fender.

It’s definitely a dimple in the body, no so much the finish. The finish is polyurethane and nitro but it’s not that thick to cause that.

evansj87

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 12, 2019
Augusta Township, MI
Okay now that’s a picture that rules out any distorted window covering interference. If you put a straight edge on it, I bet that would show even better. Send that pic to fender.

It’s definitely a dimple in the body, no so much the finish. The finish is polyurethane and nitro but it’s not that thick to cause that.
I agree. 👍

It seems to make the most sense that the imperfection is in the wood, not necessarily the finish. Nothing is bubbled up or anything like that. Just a B stock grade body you could say. 🙂

Thanks for taking a look and for your input!

Guithartic

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2021
Jacksonville, FL
Flamed pickguard too, that’s a new one. Better pics will help, maybe without a reflection to see what’s going on. Just a guessing game with the pics posted.
Exactly. It’s hard to tell what’s what with those reflections. It’s easier to see the subtle ridges on the photo of the back of the body around the neck pocket.

Last edited:

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
@evansj87, could we possibly see a picture of your window coverings? Some of us have become rather curious about what they look like 🤣

I've never before seen a guitar body that looked quite like that. It's practically like someone played with the height adjustment wheel while running it at an angle through a drum sander. @Intune has a good point -

If you put a straight edge on it, I bet that would show even better. Send that pic to fender.

This just isn't up-to-par with what Fender American stuff is supposed to be.

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
Hi All,

Just wanted to see if anyone has ever seen anything like this or if you own a Stratocaster that has this. I have owned a few and never seen this before. If you look at the attached photo, you'll notice that the top of the guitar is very wavy. If you run your finger across it you can actually feel your finger go up and down ever so slightly over the top of the guitar. Is this normal? I don't think it is, but I'm curious to get some opinions on this. There is also a spot above the neck plate where there's a couple indentations or sunken in areas. My assumption is that they didn't get enough filler in those spots or something.

It's a great playing and sounding guitar for sure, just seems like the finish is a little off. I am curious to get some input on this though.

Thanks!
When did they make American Original 60's series in black?

But no never seen paint do that before interesting (heat, cold humidity issue maybe?), maybe the relic process is starting early for you? Could be a good thing if you like that.

Latest posts