Ever pick up one of your guitars and wonder why you don't play it more; And have no answer ??

stratblast

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
I have 2 SSS but have a set of ultra noiseless p/u's on order to go in 1
Then I gotta hss and a HH
decent board
hot rod deluxe
Katana 100
Figure I'm hooked up for for anything I can think of 😃
Yep that sounds about right But how do you make the desire to buy more go away. ? Do you keep telling yourself. I’m covered. I’m covered. I’m covered. Over and over again. ? Or did you have someone put you under hypnosis. ?

Bob the builder

Dr. Stratster
May 2, 2016
Cranston, Rhode Island
Yep that sounds about right But how do you make the desire to buy more go away. ? Do you keep telling yourself. I’m covered. I’m covered. I’m covered. Over and over again. ? Or did you have someone put you under hypnosis. ?
Got no need.
I've had more
I still have the ones I play regularly
The ones I sold ?
They didn't get played
That's why I sold em in the first place. 😁

stratblast

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
Got no need.
I've had more
I still have the ones I play regularly
The ones I sold ?
They didn't get played
That's why I sold em in the first place. 😁
Never had desire to buy more to replace ones sold with something else?. I let my son have one of my guitars 2 years ago as a Christmas gift and I haven’t stopped thinking about wanting to replace it.

stratblast

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
They (Gibson) make a bunch of different models. I’ve got 2 -335s and a black -355 with a bigsby (like the one Keef plays) and they’re all different and have different neck profiles and pickups. They’re all good.

Since you’re talking about Ibanez guitars- I’ve always wanted one of those Joe Pass models. :)
Oh ….well my ES 335 is a three tone tobacco burst I guess you might say. With no Bigsby. I guess it is a pretty plain one hardware wise. Back in the early 2000 ‘s when I got it ….I think I paid about 1600.00 for it. I got an LP around the same time that cost about. 2200.00. Hmmm I don’t think I have a Joe Pass Ibanez. Does he play a semi hollow body ? Cuz none of my Ibanezes are solid bodies. I had one years ago but I gave it to my son s friend years ago. He had a beat up old hand me down and his folks could not afford to buy him a decent guitar … I felt bad for the kid. I think he played it in a few bands since then.

Bob the builder

Dr. Stratster
May 2, 2016
Cranston, Rhode Island
Never had desire to buy more to replace ones sold with something else?. I let my son have one of my guitars 2 years ago as a Christmas gift and I haven’t stopped thinking about wanting to replace it.
I've tried others ,chit, I ain't a idiot
well....most times
but I haven't run across anything that's gonna give me something more than what I got.

stratblast

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
I've tried others ,chit, I ain't a idiot
well....most times
but I haven't run across anything that's gonna give me something more than what I got.
I hear you. I am sure I have all I need as well. I have to keep telling myself that though. I keep looking at guitars. Darn internet. Makes it too easy to look at stuff I like. The more I look the more I plan out how I can buy. Need to stop looking.

Nate D

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
Oh ….well my ES 335 is a three tone tobacco burst I guess you might say. With no Bigsby. I guess it is a pretty plain one hardware wise. Back in the early 2000 ‘s when I got it ….I think I paid about 1600.00 for it. I got an LP around the same time that cost about. 2200.00. Hmmm I don’t think I have a Joe Pass Ibanez. Does he play a semi hollow body ? Cuz none of my Ibanezes are solid bodies. I had one years ago but I gave it to my son s friend years ago. He had a beat up old hand me down and his folks could not afford to buy him a decent guitar … I felt bad for the kid. I think he played it in a few bands since then.
I’ve got the same tobacco burst. I think mine is a 95 or 96. Great guitar. Thin neck. I paid $1600 for mine back in 2005ish.

Guitar Hobbyist

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 25, 2021
Virginia
In my previous post I mentioned I had cased my only three guitars. That was after they spent 10 years on guitar stands only being admired and not played. After being encouraged to start playing again I thought buying new would be the catalyst to get me to do so. But after owning those three for a total of nearly 103 years (yikes!) I’m questioning why I even bought new stuff. Added a Telecaster Custom with a maple board to go with the Strat that has a rosewood board and a Precision Bass with a rosewood board for the Jazz Bass (maple board). Both new guitars have C shaped necks which their counterpart didn’t. On the P Bass specifically, the nut width is 1/8th of an inch wider. The radius went from 7.25” to 9.5”. It’s like starting all over again. For me, I have trouble adjusting to these changes after so long with their predecessors. Maybe I should have followed the old maxim that “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix (change) it”.

revtime

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 17, 2014
kansas
Its easy to do when you have a bunch of guitars. The ones I dont like move on pretty quick. The onez I do like get thrown in a hanger in the display room. I will take one down and play it for an evening. I wonder why I dont play it more often. Then I realize as great as it is I have ones that are even better. So I try to limit myself to only have as many guitars as I have wall hangers. Trouble is I keep finding ways to get more guitars on the wall.
Ive gotta run out of space soon right?

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I had all of my guitars cased. Then I bought 2 racks and put 18 of my guitars in them. I also have six or so in individual stands, and my most expensive unicorn guitar is cased awaiting a repair.

I have a hand built classical in a humicase in the closet, and my granddaughter’s strat in the living room. And my wife’s classical is in a gig bag on top of the stack of cases. They do get played more now that they are out in the open. E15B7D0F-364C-4CEE-9BFC-D3CCCBE21C66.jpeg

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
I caveat with my response. I now know why I have not played it.

I have a 1980 USA strat I have not played for over 2 decades. Been n acoustic player most of that time. After getting the guitar dialed I have been playing it for several month. 20 years agoI did not realize why I had a love-hate relationship with this guitar. I do now

Love.........Sound, sound, sound. It has some unknown (to me) boutique pick ups that sound amazing. Fat and warm with great sustain. It is the one I judge all others by.
Hate....it has an A-profile neck which has a 1.5 nut and is 2.15 at the heel. So it’s just to thin for my hands. Took me 20 years to realized what my preference is

Last edited:

stratblast

Strat-Talker
Jan 17, 2015
OMAHA, NEBRASKA
I had all of my guitars cased. Then I bought 2 racks and put 18 of my guitars in them. I also have six or so in individual stands, and my most expensive unicorn guitar is cased awaiting a repair.

I have a hand built classical in a humicase in the closet, and my granddaughter’s strat in the living room. And my wife’s classical is in a gig bag on top of the stack of cases. They do get played more now that they are out in the open. View attachment 571724
wow .. that room looks so neat and organized and workable.... I envy your....organizational skills.... that is one of the best practice rooms I have ever seen... well..... next to Sheryl Crow's that is...and that is only because.....t looks like hers has a couple of pianos in it... but that's awesome...!..

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
I caveat with my response. I now know why I have not played it.

I have a 1980 USA strat I have not played for over 2 decades. Been n acoustic player most of that time. After getting the guitar dialed I have been playing it for several month. 20 years agoI did not realize why I had a love-hate relationship with this guitar. I do now

Love.........Sound, sound, sound. It has some unknown (to me) boutique pick ups that sound amazing. Fat and warm with great sustain. It is the one I judge all others by.
Hate....it has an A-profile neck which has a 1.5 nut and is 2.15 at the heel. So it’s just to thin for my hands. Took me 20 years to realized what my preference is
Hey, maybe we could trade guitars:)

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
Hey, maybe we could trade guitars:)
I am open to the idea of a trade, make me an offer......:) However, as great as my guitar is it has some cosmetic issues, mostly a refinish that is a hack job. That, and only the body and neck are original. So, resale or trade value are prohibitive. And, the guitar has the sound I want. So any trade would be a gamble ( it would have to be local to me (WNC). I’m leaning towards replacing the neck. I do not have the equipment or the skill set to do the work my self so I feel like I’m in limbo. Here’s a thread asking for advice.

Mbroady

Strat-Talker
Mar 21, 2022
WNC
My 79 neck is probably much like yours. I love mine. It’s my favorite guitar. And the Vintera has pickups that sound just like the all original 79.
Nice looking guitars. I know some don’t but I personally love the look of the 70s head stock with the lipstick truss rod. Based on the pic the maple neck looks like the thinner neck. Mine is also maple, and love the sound.

I recently picked up a 2010 China made Classic vibe Strat with a rosewood neck. It has the wider nut and 9.5 radius. Feels great. And it is a surprisingly good sounding guitar, but not as good as the 80s Strat.