Drummers! Cymbals! Ouch!

mad axe man

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 23, 2016
ontario canada
Normally yeah, I dont have much patience for that. We are in a Fleetwood Mac tribute band. He knows the parts backwards and forwards. Its unlikely to get another drummer to put in the work he has. He has issues for sure, not least of which, his wife, the lead singer, left him. Im gonna give him a little bit of leeway. Not a ton but, some.
He has issues for sure, not least of which, his wife, the lead singer, left him...no wonder he drinks

Deafsoundguy

CERTIFIED HACK
Silver Member
Mar 6, 2020
Area 51
I really shouldn’t be talking here but as a sound guy forever, I’ve had to listen to bashing drummers pound their cymbals and the resulting mic bleed for too long :mad:. Guys who can play with finesse are far and few between. Fortunately I’ve been lucky enough to work with some super talented guys so it just makes those bashers stand out like a sore thumb.

If it’s annoying on stage, think how super annoying it is to have to amplify that over the p.a. And I get soundguys who insist that I mic the cymbals in small rooms where it just is effing stupid.

Just my opinion that the vast majority of cymbals sound like ear-splitting crap, however, there was this one time I was setting up and the drummer (never saw him before) was starting to finalize his kit placement. He hit his cymbals and it was like WOW! They actually sounded great. At the time I had never heard of this brand but when I said “dude those sound amazing” he just smiled and said “I know!“. Istanbul was the brand, I think….. totally not brash. Amazing

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
I really shouldn’t be talking here but as a sound guy forever, I’ve had to listen to bashing drummers pound their cymbals and the resulting mic bleed for too long :mad:. Guys who can play with finesse are far and few between. Fortunately I’ve been lucky enough to work with some super talented guys so it just makes those bashers stand out like a sore thumb.

If it’s annoying on stage, think how super annoying it is to have to amplify that over the p.a. And I get soundguys who insist that I mic the cymbals in small rooms where it just is effing stupid.

Just my opinion that the vast majority of cymbals sound like ear-splitting crap, however, there was this one time I was setting up and the drummer (never saw him before) was starting to finalize his kit placement. He hit his cymbals and it was like WOW! They actually sounded great. At the time I had never heard of this brand but when I said “dude those sound amazing” he just smiled and said “I know!“. Istanbul was the brand, I think….. totally not brash. Amazing
You make a few good points but even a good drummer with good gear is going to have cymbal bleed in every mic.

Deafsoundguy

CERTIFIED HACK
Silver Member
Mar 6, 2020
Area 51
You make a few good points but even a good drummer with good gear is going to have cymbal bleed in every mic.
i wasn’t complaining about good drummers bleeding into the mics ;). I’m complaining about bashers that leave a wash of high end hell on stage. Problem exacerbated by vocal mics. Obviously the type of mic, how many, how far away the cymbals are and how many vocal mics their are etc etc vary the difference. Weak singers who force a higher gain on the mic make it worse.

Actually on most smaller stages I actually rely on the vocal mics to amplify the cymbal. That way it’s less mics to put out.

It’s not like I disrespect all cymbals, a good ride sounds cool. But I always mic the hat. It’s so important and just makes some tunes. It irritates me when I see lazy sound guys not mic it or say “oh the snare mic will pick it up” :mad:.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
I just played 2 gigs, one Tuesday, and one Wedesday.

In Tuesday our drummer seemed intoxicated. He bashed hard but hit this one ride cymbal a lot. It sounded like ass and drowned out the vocals and guitar every time he used it, which was all day!

I dont know much about cymbals except the guy we played with yesterday had such a clean sound. I could hear everything clearly all night.

What do drummers look for in a cymbal? Why are some cymbals so obnoxious? Its not the first time Ive played with a guy that basically covered up everything with his cymbals.
Cymbals should be seen and not heard. The Band’s Pink House record only has a high hat on it and no other cymbals on the entire record. The drums are perfect on it.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
Ahhh, yessss, Scott that one record is enough to take your silly opinion from just a "hot take" to ACTUAL ESTABLISHED FACT.

This is tiresome.
Can’t take a joke? Geez……nothing about opinions is established fact, but this was just a joke. It is still one of the best albums with or without cymbals.

My left ear still rings constantly because of standing next to Kofi Baker’s Ride cymbal every night for two years. That is an established fact.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
Can’t take a joke? Geez……nothing about opinions is established fact, but this was just a joke. It is still one of the best albums with or without cymbals.

My left ear still rings constantly because of standing next to Kofi Baker’s Ride cymbal every night for two years. That is an established fact.
That sounds factual there at the end. Use the damn laughie faces, Scott. Save me the effort of answering. FOR GOD'S SAKE USE THE FACES!!! :D

You know my kid is a jazz studes major on drums, right???

Groundwire

Strat-O-Master
Apr 16, 2021
Oregon
He hit his cymbals and it was like WOW! They actually sounded great. At the time I had never heard of this brand but when I said “dude those sound amazing” he just smiled and said “I know!“. Istanbul was the brand, I think….. totally not brash. Amazing
Istanbul makes some great stuff. I also have a Turkish brand ride cymbal that is dark, Smokey, and washes out wonderfully.

Having worked in recording studios years ago, I can say that the drummer, and to a lesser extent, the cymbals can really make or break a mix. I love cymbals and the air they can add to the top end of a mix, but if the drummer is just hammering the hihat and bell of the ride, then you have to bury the overheads and the whole drum mix loses depth.

Doc538

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Dec 10, 2017
Ma
Hmm, when he steps out for a minute, replace his sticks with brushes and put a few strips of duck tape on the underside of the annoying cymbals.. he'll get the message. You might also be a nice guy and replace his drink bottle with a fresh cold water.