Cracks in new American Pro II

Piggymac

New Member!
Oct 2, 2022
Australia
Hi Everyone,
I purchased a new Strat 2 weeks ago and have noticed quite a lot of cracks in the body wood through the finish.
Do you think this should be covered under warranty? I don't want to find as the guitar gets older, the cracks get bigger. As it is now if you turn it at an angle to the light you can also see the finish dips into the cracks creating lines along the body.
Cheers, tempImagexKPVM2.png tempImageZX5fx8.png tempImagepgHsqw.png tempImage4nTHev.png

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
As said, not unusual for alder. Here's a pic of an alder body without any finish. You can see the flecks, that can and sometimes do look like splits. Double check to see if it's definitely filled with finish. Could be clear grain fill, or trick of the light, or could be a crack?
Screenshot_2022-10-03-09-55-35-118_com.miui.gallery.jpg

92 Fiesta Red 62

Strat-O-Master
Apr 27, 2022
TEXAS
What they said 👆🏽

I think, with so many pictures of a “perfect” wood grain out there, we sometimes forget the randomness and variation found in nature.

There’s a weird spot on the upper back section of my pinstriped Telecaster’s neck—not a knot (say that three times fast), but just a weird little spot in the wood grain of the otherwise-blemish-free maple of the neck. When I first bought it, it vaguely bothered me…because it looks a little “off”, I wondered if the neck might develop some twisting or warping problems over time. At this point (the guitar was made in 1995), I’m pretty sure that will not happen…and the odd spot is just part of the visual appeal of a great guitar, kinda like Cindy Crawford’s mole or Claudia Schiffer’s overbite.

Nick L Plate

Strat-Talker
Sep 15, 2020
Santa Barbara
What is worth noting is that, as with mineral streaks in maple, wood with such markings was formerly rejected for instrument making but has become common due to the demand for diminishing supplies of good wood. For the last decade, maybe, streaked and blotched wood has become more common, and the degree of "disfigurement" accepted has increased. This has reached the point where people do ask "is this OK?" because the markings can be really visible. For most of us, it's now a nothingburger, as we like to see resources not going to waste, but back in the old days, a buyer would definitely prefer clear, "perfectly" grained wood to something that looks like it might be cracking. Now, let's talk about streaky acoustic guitar tops, or pinholes in ebony, etc. Same deal. Eventually, only fotoflames will look "perfect."

=KARMA=

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 24, 2015
Londinium
Hi Everyone,
I purchased a new Strat 2 weeks ago and have noticed quite a lot of cracks in the body wood through the finish.
Do you think this should be covered under warranty? I don't want to find as the guitar gets older, the cracks get bigger. As it is now if you turn it at an angle to the light you can also see the finish dips into the cracks creating lines along the body.
Cheers, View attachment 596368 View attachment 596369 View attachment 596370 View attachment 596371
My 21 year old Stevie Ray Vaughan body has them too….

76A9618E-0D3D-486A-A90C-DE31E50C52AF.jpeg

Bob Spumoni

Senior Stratmaster
May 5, 2019
New England
I get all the talk about mineral streaks and so on. However, if the guitar does does not meet YOUR expectations, you have every right to send it right on back.