Compact single audio monitor

StratoStrummer

Strat-Talker
Feb 26, 2021
Puglia
Do audio monitors always go in pairs?
Is there an option to use a single monitor (and also a very compact one) with an usb audio interface? Any suggestion? I use a scarlett solo, but I have always plugged in my headphones, and really know nothing about monitors.
So I am sorry for the very stupid request and thankful for any help you can offer.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
Stupid? How can a simple request for information be stupid? It's not. The number of questions I have asked here is astronomical.

Pretty much all the home studio type monitors can be purchased in singles or pairs. Obviously, not going to know what your stereo mix is doing but you can get an idea how things sound. I think a few monitors, like the Mixcube can be hooked up with both channels feeding the mono monitor.

Pardon me if I have given you any incorrect info...I think I gave you good. Someone will be along at some point to flesh out my little answer.

pazman6

Senior Stratmaster
May 28, 2014
Prairieville, Louisiana
you can put your daw master bus in mono and run on a single monitor off the left or right output from your interface. You can use any type of powered monitor - small mix cube type (which won't sound very good) or use something like a 5,6, or 8" powered monitor (Like KRK, MAudio, Yamaha, etc). I have behringer Behrentone (mix cube knock offs) and I have acouple of pairs of MAudio Bx5 and MAudio Bx8 monitors. I like the B8 best but they are pretty large.

I would consider buying a pair because you can just use your computer, interface, and monitors as a stereo as well as recording.

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
most all decent studio monitors are sold in singles, the cheep ones come In pairs,
if this is to be used for mixing, to get the mix to translate well, you need decent monitors, that play flat, and room treatment.

I would argue if space is an issue, headphones would be a better option, using a corrective software to get the cans FR, As flat as possible. than a small limited frequency response single monitor in an untreated room , that is a recipe for lots of frustration….and nothing translates, and well , you will see what I mean if you go down that rode…..

you need a pair to set the soundstage, are you mixing only in mono?
it can be done, Abby road did some of the best mono recordings that are a text book example of really outstanding engineering. But that is very advanced sound engineering….

if you are mixing, you really need a pair, that are not small, and room treatment.
and the more you spend, the better off you will be, no trick exists around that…..you can use sub optimal monitors if you know them, and know the room, and how to mix around the issue, that takes many years to master. And being very very familiar with the sub optimal monitoring, and room issues. Headphones have much less issues than bad monitors in a bad room.

it’s all about getting the mix to translate, properly across a wide range of speakers and rooms. You need a flat frequency response, minimal nodes in the room, and most all rooms in the typical home are far to small.

I just sold all my kids for my main monitors, and then the wife was sold off for room treatment, works great.

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
Do audio monitors always go in pairs?
Is there an option to use a single monitor (and also a very compact one) with an usb audio interface? Any suggestion? I use a scarlett solo, but I have always plugged in my headphones, and really know nothing about monitors.
So I am sorry for the very stupid request and thankful for any help you can offer.
You can always buy just one. Get an "active" (built in amplifier) monitor, of course, and you'll want to listen to a few at your local GC (or whatever passes for one) till you find one that you like.