Classic Vibe Duo-Sonic.. thoughts..

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
I'm putting this out there because I know nothing whatsoever about these guitars. I haven't had the desire to buy another guitar for years, but one of these has come up used in my neck of the woods and its sparked my curiosity. The simplicity of it is one of the things that's grabbed me, along with the 24" scale length..

iu

Stu78

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 20, 2019
Scotland
I'm putting this out there because I know nothing whatsoever about these guitars. I haven't had the desire to buy another guitar for years, but one of these has come up used in my neck of the woods and its sparked my curiosity. The simplicity of it is one of the things that's grabbed me, along with the 24" scale length..

iu
I tried the very same model a few years back. Very nice and very well built. Bit small for me but does a good scratchy indie talking heads kind of sound. I would have bought it but like I said a bit too small. That was it's only failing. 🙂👍

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I played one years back and I loved it, felt a bit small but not in a bad way! Very easy to play, great for rhythm guitar in my opinion, and these have become very rare! I’ve only seen a handful and they are gettin more expensive too, so I’d check it out :)

Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
Thanks for your input guys I really appreciate it. Its very rare that anything sparks my interest guitar wise these days, but for some reason this did.

I must say that after a pretty serious fretting hand injury a few years back, I do find a shorter scale easier to play. My Les Paul for example. I gather these are 24", but the originals were 22". Wow.. that's some reduction on a Strat board..

Great little Jazz piece too @dogletnoir .. thank you..

Bakelite1

Strat-Talker
Nov 26, 2020
Vancouver BC
I've got one. It might as well be a Musicmaster because I never use the bridge pickup. It is positioned a little forward to mitigate the treble. To my ear it is nice for chords but it isn't the ideal. The aluminum guard doesn't help, either. I meant to get a different wind in there and Ken at Rose made me a set but they went somewhere else. That said, it is a very nice instrument. It sort of fell out of rotation because a mean girl said it looked like I was strumming a violin.

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
I gather these are 24", but the originals were 22"
Thanks for the kind words on the jazz piece.
The backing track was by our own @Thrup'ny Bit iirc.

Yes, these newer Duo Sonics are 24" scale, but i do believe that at least one point
the original models were offered in both 22.5" and 24" versions.
My 1st gen. Musicmaster is definitely 22.5" scale, though.

Last edited:

archetype

Fiend of Leo's
Silver Member
Nov 26, 2016
Western NY, USA
The CVs like in the OP's picture are IMO the best of the latter-day Duo-Sonics because they have the original style bridge with Tele saddles. IIRC for some reason they were made with what's essentially a conversion neck that's unique to the CV version. Again, IIRC, the pocket to saddle dimension is the same as 25 1/2" scale Fenders, so a Strat neck should fit and intonate properly. Why they designed it that way and then made a unique neck to get a 24" scale is a mystery to me.

I had a 100% original '57 Musicmaster with a tiny, super-hard V profile neck. That was 22 1/2" scale and I used a 0.011 to 0.052 string set. It had the fattest, gnarlyest, raging Fender single coil I've ever heard.

Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
Thank you so much for your input guys.. its very much appreciated.

I've been asking myself since I saw the CV Duo-Sonic advertised.. why on earth haven't I heard about this guitar.. which is very much a part of Fender history. I was aware of Jags, Jazz Masters, and Mustangs back in the day, but not this little beauty.

A lot of top players have also been associated with this guitar too, like Jimmy and Rory, which makes it even more bizarre I've been ignorant of its existence..

You learn something new every day.. :thumb:

Dick Blackmore

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2017
Black Hole
I think the smaller scale length‘issues’ are more in the mind then an actual thing. When I first got a Jag I felt that way but over the years I believe the Jaguar and it’s 24” scale and the trem system really is Leo’s best design. I’m 6’4” 215 normal hands proportional to my size. I mean are you really planning on shredding at the 22 nd?

Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
I think the smaller scale length‘issues’ are more in the mind then an actual thing. When I first got a Jag I felt that way but over the years I believe the Jaguar and it’s 24” scale and the trem system really is Leo’s best design. I’m 6’4” 215 normal hands proportional to my size. I mean are you really planning on shredding at the 22 nd?
Shredding!.. Certainly not.. ha ha.. I'm 6'3" with hands like shovels.. ;)

However, I can testify to the fact that I do find my Les Paul's shorter scale easier to play than the Strat these days.

Its difficult to describe my fretting hand function after what can only be described as two serious injuries over the years. The first, in my twenties, a crushing accident causing tendon damage, and the second.. surgery after the severing of two fingers.. my index and middle. I can't clench a fist, it feels wooden, with nerve damage. Its crippled to a degree.

The shorter scale of course is not the only reason I was attracted to this guitar.. it just grabbed me when I saw a photo of it. The simplicity, colours, the whole package.. :thumb:

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
Shredding!.. Certainly not.. ha ha.. I'm 6'3" with hands like shovels.. ;)

However, I can testify to the fact that I do find my Les Paul's shorter scale easier to play than the Strat these days.

Its difficult to describe my fretting hand function after what can only be described as two serious injuries over the years. The first, in my twenties, a crushing accident causing tendon damage, and the second.. surgery after the severing of two fingers.. my index and middle. I can't clench a fist, it feels wooden, with nerve damage. Its crippled to a degree.

The shorter scale of course is not the only reason I was attracted to this guitar.. it just grabbed me when I saw a photo of it. The simplicity, colours, the whole package.. :thumb:
i'm sorry to hear of your injuries...
but the Classic Vibe Duo Sonic is a win in terms of its fit, finish
and playability imo. You should definitely give one a try.

Will Lefeurve

Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
i'm sorry to hear of your injuries...
but the Classic Vibe Duo Sonic is a win in terms of its fit, finish
and playability imo. You should definitely give one a try.
I'm very tempted indeed to go for the one locally, as they don't come up very often. They seem somewhat rare here in the UK. There are some issues with it though that cloud the desire a tiny bit.
My main frustration is that its come up at a time when I'm having to pay out left right and center on the 'necessary's'.. leaving me rather short of the old spondoolies.. ha ha.. ;)