Classic Vibe 70s Stratocaster Setup Question

gsr51

New Member!
Jun 22, 2022
Texas
I recently purchased one of these from Sweetwater as my first electric guitar. Regarding the action, Sweetwater says the guitars they ship are within manufacturer's specs but I'm not sure what that is. The action wasn't bad but I figured I could make it a little better so I lowered the action very slightly and re-intonated afterwards. I was afraid to mess things up so I was very conservative with my first tweaking. The results are better but I think I can go even lower. Right now, I'm at .060 on the lower E and .050 on the high string. Looking to see what other players of this guitar have their action set.

Also, does the type of strings matter? I'm told that it comes with Fender Classic Core Nickel-plated Steel 09s on it. Would there be a better upgrade on the strings?

Thanks!

wooders

Strat-O-Master
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
That's not bad for out of the box, supposedly budget guitar.
No set standard here. Depends on nut, relief, how true the neck is and how level the frets are.

Guitarmageddon

Dr. Stratster
Apr 19, 2014
Canada
I recently purchased one of these from Sweetwater as my first electric guitar. Regarding the action, Sweetwater says the guitars they ship are within manufacturer's specs but I'm not sure what that is. The action wasn't bad but I figured I could make it a little better so I lowered the action very slightly and re-intonated afterwards. I was afraid to mess things up so I was very conservative with my first tweaking. The results are better but I think I can go even lower. Right now, I'm at .060 on the lower E and .050 on the high string. Looking to see what other players of this guitar have their action set.

Also, does the type of strings matter? I'm told that it comes with Fender Classic Core Nickel-plated Steel 09s on it. Would there be a better upgrade on the strings?

Thanks!

You're already VERY low, lower than Fender/Squier spec.....

1.6-2mm is normal, which is like .062 or so on the high strings, and about .075" or maybe a bit less on the low strings....

I set mine all to 1.95mm

.0767, with proper relief set to .010"-ish......unfretted, measured between bottom of each string and top of fret 12 or 17.....

SpeedKing

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 9, 2015
UK
Hi and firstly welcome!

Great guitar you have there .... do you play acoustically already? Influences? Musical likes?

Anyway, things like strings and set up are quite personal really. Many go for a heavier gauge string eventually (often citing more 'tone' but who knows the full sonic results on any individual instrument?) but if you're learning I'd advise staying with the 9's as they're easier to physically push to the fret with the left hand fingers until you build up more muscle tone. You want to keep learning as easy as it can be initially.

Set ups again vary to preference but so long as you can fret easily just don't worry too much about it now. Practice playing.

If you have any problem and it's time for adjustment the easiest thing to do is learn how to do everything yourself. Set up only relates to adjusting string height via the height adjustment screws in the saddles (though relative along the whole length of the neck ... adjusted by adjusting the curvature of the neck or 'relief' using the truss rod in the neck), intonation (moving the saddles back and forth) and the trem set up (raise and lowering pitch or 'floating', only lowering pitch or 'decked' or non functioning or 'blocked').

There's plenty of on line videos from Fender themselves covering all these processes and there's no need to worry about any of them as they are all designed to be adjusted by the user ... it's like adjusting the seat and heating in your car. The order is truss rod for relief first, string height next then finally intonation (though I usually find with a tilted bridge plate on a floating trem I adjust height again after the first intonation as the backwards forwards movement results in a vertical movement too).

Like learning to drive though if you're comfortable in the seat now just drive and give your attention to the pedals, wheel, gears and the road ahead. If after a while you find yourself uncomfortable then adjust as required.

PS. On every introductory post we expect a picture of any new poster's guitar so.... let's be seeing that lovely big head stocked strat!

Last edited:

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
Do you already know how to play guitar? Cause if not you have a really good start if your able to raise and lower the saddles and intonate the instrument ect ect, by yourself on a first guitar. Although, I think you specifically said first electric.

gsr51

New Member!
Jun 22, 2022
Texas
Do you already know how to play guitar? Cause if not you have a really good start if your able to raise and lower the saddles and intonate the instrument ect ect, by yourself on a first guitar. Although, I think you specifically said first electric.
Yeah i have a Martin acoustic. Just never had an electric. I’m a piano player but I’ve been around guitars a lot.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
Which fret are you taking the measurements?

If at the 12th fret or above, I'd consider that very low. Factory specs (which BTW are arbitrary BS) are higher than that.

Ebidis

Providing the world with flat bends since 1985
Nov 14, 2013
Alabama
If you want to go even lower, I would suggest lowering the action at the nut. The factory nut slots are never low enough. You'd be surprised what a marked difference in feel it makes.