Santa Claws Is Coming To Town

0ca.gif
grumpy.gif

Kitteh not pleased.

dnabbet2

Strat-Talker
Oct 13, 2021
Turkey
Usually they adapt after a while and eventually become good friends in my experience. But you never know. The new cat is in the original cat's territory so that at least creates initial conflict.
Thanks for the new-cat/old-cat advice.

But I just realised it's now been three months with a new cat and an older cat working things out -- if anyone wants an update -- and with the progress they're making ... they'll be dead of old age before they're good friends. :)

They seem curious about each other, but every time we provide them with the opportunity to get close, one of them will hiss at the other, and then the other will whack the first one's snout. Though they do NOT hurt each other.

The younger cat, of course, wants to play, and the older cat just wants him to get lost. Which I understand. Anyway, each has his own crate and litter tray and bed, and one seems to be sticking to the upstairs and the other to the downstairs.

StratUp

Dr. Stratster
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Thanks for the new-cat/old-cat advice.

But I just realised it's now been three months with a new cat and an older cat working things out -- if anyone wants an update -- and with the progress they're making ... they'll be dead of old age before they're good friends. :)

They seem curious about each other, but every time we provide them with the opportunity to get close, one of them will hiss at the other, and then the other will whack the first one's snout. Though they do NOT hurt each other.

The younger cat, of course, wants to play, and the older cat just wants him to get lost. Which I understand. Anyway, each has his own crate and litter tray and bed, and one seems to be sticking to the upstairs and the other to the downstairs.

It can take years.

dnabbet2

Strat-Talker
Oct 13, 2021
Turkey
It can take years.
Yes, I understand you're absolutely right, StratUp. Thanks for the reassurance.

The older cat's nose is permanently "out of joint" and the younger cat seems genuinely sad when he's rejected by the older cat. But otherwise my wife especially is making sure they're able to stay away from each other.

And I understand you have to make sure they don't have a set-to, or they'll never come 'round ... so we're patient.