Can I get a second opinion?

sikoniko

Strat-O-Master
Jul 24, 2010
Inside A Parallel Universe
The purpose of this post is NOT to disparage the seller. It's purely to validate my concern before going to the store and pointing out a potential problem. I have bought and sold vintage with Guitar Center, and they are generally a store I trust (YMMV - depending on who you work with). They also have a really good return policy.

I always like to look through the vintage inventory at GC. Recently, they got a refin '65. My concern? The headstock looks a little off. I have seen a picture of the neck heel, and it does have a 2 stamp (2SEP65B). But I also know that people like to reshape the headstock of jazzmasters and stick them on strats.

What are your thoughts? Is it just the photo and camera angle or is there something to what I am seeing? I am confident there is no ill-intent from GC on this guitar, but the best of them can be fooled from time to time.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
The purpose of this post is NOT to disparage the seller. It's purely to validate my concern before going to the store and pointing out a potential problem. I have bought and sold vintage with Guitar Center, and they are generally a store I trust (YMMV - depending on who you work with). They also have a really good return policy.

I always like to look through the vintage inventory at GC. Recently, they got a refin '65. My concern? The headstock looks a little off. I have seen a picture of the neck heel, and it does have a 2 stamp (2SEP65B). But I also know that people like to reshape the headstock of jazzmasters and stick them on strats.

What are your thoughts? Is it just the photo and camera angle or is there something to what I am seeing? I am confident there is no ill-intent from GC on this guitar, but the best of them can be fooled from time to time.
Yes, the headstock looks off but it could be human error from 65 (all handwork, no cnc). Possibly still worth looking into.

Last edited:

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK

"According to my book", '2SEP65B' indicates Stratocaster neck (2), September 65 (SEP65), standard nut width.(B)... always assuming it's the original stamp and the photo is of the end of that neck.

Caythorpe

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 8, 2022
Lincolnshire, England
I would say it’s the right headstock.. But sometime early on, it’s taken a hit and been filed/sanded to remove the damage, and that’s why it looks a bit rough…

But for that price, any guitar would need a full verification of authenticity before purchase anyway….

I can’t see why it would be worth anywhere near that much anyway, unless it’s got a reliably good historical provenance…

bigreen505

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 5, 2021
Colorado
IME, Guitar Center is not dishonest, but often times is rather ignorant about their inventory.
It honestly depends on the store. One near me has three Strats, not what I would call vintage, but some value nonetheless, that they are knowingly misrepresenting. I wouldn’t buy anything from there that you are not absolutely certain of it’s authenticity.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Whether it's genuine or not, that misshape would bug the hell out of me...

View attachment 584189

Also don't like the shape where the neck meets the back of the headstock:

View attachment 584190

For a refin with changed electronics and these weird headstock issues, I'd pass on this one.
Yes. I don't like the looks of that headstock from the back. Or the profile transition at the heel. I was at work when I first opened this thread but with a little more time............. it's turning into a hard no.

Why are the tuner buttons aged but not the tuners?

It clearly has had modern 10 mm tuners with washers at some point as well as a second string tree. Even if it is legit, it's been worked over hard, many times.
Screenshot_20220813-183358-279.png

Last edited:

Parksie

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 6, 2020
Sydney

The headstock shape looks very close to an early Fullerton reissue 82-84.

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.49.54 am.png

Screen Shot 2022-08-14 at 8.46.10 am.png

Last edited:

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
The headstock shape looks very close to an early Fullerton reissue 82-84.

View attachment 584217

View attachment 584218
One thing these pics do highlight is that the remaining string tree is out of place too.

Going through web pics of others if the same era, the placement does wander, but this placement would be considered extreme.

Maybe a 1/4" to the nearest example up to maybe 1/2" to the farthest example.

Parksie

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 6, 2020
Sydney
But it's more of a veneered rosewood, not a slab.
Agreed that the overall shape is close.

Yes, I noticed that well when I was uploading the images but just wasn't sure if it was the camera angle.

In any case I can see it looks like a veneer fretboard rather than the slab board.

sikoniko

Strat-O-Master
Jul 24, 2010
Inside A Parallel Universe
My first thought is that if you aren't buying it don't worry about it. I would like to have the kind of life and time where I could just go to Guitar Center to argue minutiae on vintage guitars.

rct

Then why bother posting any thread about how to authenticate a vintage strat? or even read this board? If you have time to be on this board, you have time.

First, I have no intention of buying this guitar. I was merely window shopping and it caught my attention. Yes, I saw the other things, but this stood out as a head scratcher to me. I posted it here, because I think a group dialog on identifying issues is how you learn. At least that is how I learn. I can read all kinds of stuff and be book smart, but that does not substitute experience, and that is why I posted this thread - so everyone could benefit from the discussion.

ETucc

Strat-Talker
Apr 10, 2022
NJ
Then why bother posting any thread about how to authenticate a vintage strat? or even read this board? If you have time to be on this board, you have time.

First, I have no intention of buying this guitar. I was merely window shopping and it caught my attention. Yes, I saw the other things, but this stood out as a head scratcher to me. I posted it here, because I think a group dialog on identifying issues is how you learn. At least that is how I learn. I can read all kinds of stuff and be book smart, but that does not substitute experience, and that is why I posted this thread - so everyone could benefit from the discussion.
I just bought a guitar from that Guitar Center in Cherry Hill, NJ. I’m gonna go check it out and settle this mystery. 🫡