Bringin' the heat!

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Well it is a fruit of the pepper plant. Even "vegetables" are fruits of their respective plant. But without going to wikipedia, I'll say I think of peppers as a vegetable.

Now I'll go check my answer...

Yeah, that is what I thought, they have seeds, so they are a fruit. That puts many of what we think of as vegetables into the fruit category.

...but I'd of never thought of them as a berry. I'm callin' 'em jalapeno berries from now on. 🤣

Definitely fruit. Small hot peppers sort of look like berries.

I have some of these dried: https://www.pepperscale.com/wiri-wiri-pepper/ Tasty with a rather unique flavor.

Another berry-like pod: https://www.pepperscale.com/chiltepin-pepper/ The dried I've seen for sale are pricey.

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
There are times it is fun. Taking it right to the edge of too much. Doing that you go over sometimes.

The red fully ripe jalapeño is my favorite snacking pod. Red is grow your own. Never seen a red one in a store. Too bad really...

Have to grow your own to get those tasty fellows.

I think Habanero is about the limit for me where I still get more taste than hot... and you can't use too much. Or at least I can't or no one else will eat what I cooked.

Jalapenos have a good taste but I want them fresh. The pickled ones don't have their flavor, they have a pickled flavor.

Serrano has reasonable hotness. About halfway between the Jalapeno and the Habanero IME. Not quite as flavorful as either though.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Have to grow your own to get those tasty fellows.

I think Habanero is about the limit for me where I still get more taste than hot... and you can't use too much. Or at least I can't or no one else will eat what I cooked.

Jalapenos have a good taste but I want them fresh. The pickled ones don't have their flavor, they have a pickled flavor.

Serrano has reasonable hotness. About halfway between the Jalapeno and the Habanero IME. Not quite as flavorful as either though.
Me no like pickled anything. Fresh please. Trouble is supermarket "hot" peppers just aren't anymore. There are milder versions of all the popular hot pods out there and that seems to be what supermarkets get.

Serranos are the jalapeños little cousin with an attitude. Let them go red too. I have one growing, sort of. Like last year it is undersized. :(

StratUp

Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Me no like pickled anything. Fresh please. Trouble is supermarket "hot" peppers just aren't anymore. There are milder versions of all the popular hot pods out there and that seems to be what supermarkets get.

Serranos are the jalapeños little cousin with an attitude. Let them go red too. I have one growing, sort of. Like last year it is undersized. :(

According to my professional chef friend, the milder varieties have been specifically bred for the public. So, when you go to a bar and order the nachos with jalapenos, most everyone can eat them. Better sales for the bar, but not better for the pepper lover.

I need to get a new Serrano plant. The last one has passed on. As has my Jalapeno. I do have a two year old Habanero plant pushing out more than a dozen a week though... so I'm still heavily peppered. Have to give them away to neighbors - can't keep up.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
According to my professional chef friend, the milder varieties have been specifically bred for the public. So, when you go to a bar and order the nachos with jalapenos, most everyone can eat them. Better sales for the bar, but not better for the pepper lover.
I suspected as much. When I first discovered the habanero in the mid 90s, the orange supermarket habbies were quite hot as well as the other common varieties.

Wal-Mart gets some decent serranos on occasion. Still lower in heat, but better than the false alarm jalapeños.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Still haven't done my black garlic sauce yet. I'll use a couple scorpion pods and a few cloves. I think it'll be good, but we'll see.
Ooof... cloves! I like in very small quantities, but they easily overwhelm. Where are you getting this black garlic? Are they whole bulbs or packaged in a jar?

A few weeks ago I roasted two bulbs of Spanish garlic in the toaster over. Spectacular!

elduderinoTF

Sweatin' Bullets
Mar 29, 2017
TX
Whole bulbs in a plastic jar. Black garlic cloves are what I was referring to. They are mild & more savory to me. I eat 'em like snacks.

JJ119

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 15, 2020
Mid West
That's about where I am. Sriracha, SBR Buffalo Wing Sauce, Jalapeno in the chili or on Nachos. The Jalapenos have to be from the jar, not the green/red bell pepper crunchy Jalapenos. The raw Jalapenos are too fresh, if that's at all possible ? Besides I'm not cleaning out the seeds if I can help it.

Fresh Jalepenos make fantastic
" Poppers "!!
Personally I prefer Old El Paso Brand Jalepeno Rings on Nachos.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
The larger of the two Poblanos chopped with a drizzle of good EVOO, followed by a light dusting of my own ground Moruga Scorpion for a bit of heat.

Grated extra sharp Cabot cheddar with another light drizzle of EVOO.

Better than anything you likely ate yesterday or today.

View attachment 573359
I gotta make that, it looks delicious. Maybe spread some pizza sauce or even add onions and make it like a Philly style pita, perhaps add some Steak-Ums sliced beef even. I worked in college at a bar that stuffed a pita bread pocket sliced in half with thinly sliced Steak-Ums beef, mozzarella, green peppers & onions. The sauce was mayo inside the pita. Had forgotten how good that Philly tasted.

soulman969

Jan 5, 2016
Fort Collins, CO
Someone want to tell me where's the enjoyment in tasting something so "hot" that it renders ones taste buds inoperable?
I thought spices were used to enhance the flavor of something not overpower every other ingredient that's in the mix.