Wanted Beginners amp

Matin Mojarad

Strat-Talk Member
Jul 22, 2021
Belgium
Hi all!

I'm searching for a beginners amp.
So I started playing guitar for about several months.
I rented an amp. But now I want to buy my own.
What amps would suit me the best?

I don't want a huge amp. I have a multi-effects pedal, so that would compensate (I hope)
the build in amp models. I want something that I (as a beginner) can use for few years.
My budget is about 150 (hopefully I can get something decent).
I searched for the best beginners amp on the internet, but they all wanna try to sell the amps.
So I'm not sure.

Pls don't try to sell something to me :).
I just want your advice.

Thx!

stormsedge

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 7, 2012
East Tennessee, USA
Check the Thomann music site. I have the Monoprice equivalent to the Harley Benton TUBE 15 (~229 euro)...a really nice amp. Based upon its strengths and reviews/comments I have seen, I recommend looking at the Harley Benton TUBE 5--which falls in your price range.

Thomann also lists a Fender Frontman 10G in your price range. I purchased one of those several years ago for the grandkids and have heard no complaints.

I also have a Blackstar Super Fly and a larger Blackstar (HT40) amp...you about cannot go wrong with the Blackstar brand.

In any event, since you have a multi effects you are happy with, you can concentrate on a simpler amp (with a little more power)...cleaner is better in my experience with external effects.

Happy hunting!

2010cb

Strat-Talker
Silver Member
Nov 21, 2020
NY
I second the Harley Benton Tube 5 if it is the same as the Monoprice 5-watt 1x8 tube combo. The Monoprice is on their website for $119.

I’ll add the Yamaha THR5 as another option. Right now it seems like they are $209 new, but I’m pretty sure I’ve seen them well below $200 in the past. Maybe they’ve jumped up in price since then. I see them used right now in the $140-$170 range.

The above examples are two different animals, but I’d add them to your list to check out.

brians

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 28, 2016
South Africa
You say you have a multi effects pedal, then without a doubt I would get a Vox Pathfinder 10.
It has a great clean, takes pedals well and it's a proper traditional amp.

I am not knocking any of the mini amps, I use a Fly 3 as well, but the Pathfinder just has a much fuller sound, and it's 10 watts.

I've used it since 2008, I also use it with a multi effects pedal , you can't do better for the price.
Should cost you less than $80 new , and you will have a great amp and change.

Last edited:

crankmeister

Most Honored Senior Member
Jul 9, 2020
Republic of Gilead
If you already have a pedal I would get the best solid state amp you can find in your budget. A simple two-channel combo amp with a 12” speaker. An fx loop would be nice, as would a foot switch.

Roland, Blackstar, Quilter and Katana are names I see a lot for solid state amps.

My only amp for years was a Roland Cube 30x. But already having the multi fx pedal, I would forgo the modeling option and get a good old fashioned solid state.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
In that price range, I'd recommend Fender Mustang I V2 20W or a Champion 20. Rarely or never used can be $ 50-100 and that should get you a couple of years easy. Decent practice amps and you'll have another $ 50+ towards whatever else you'll want or even bills. Next amp, these Fenders are always going to be a good practice or backup amp.

Forpie

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2019
Montréal
In that price range, I'd recommend Fender Mustang I V2 20W or a Champion 20. Rarely or never used can be $ 50-100 and that should get you a couple of years easy. Decent practice amps and you'll have another $ 50+ towards whatever else you'll want or even bills. Next amp, these Fenders are always going to be a good practice or backup amp.

yeah i was going to say champion 20/40 also. Your multi effect pedal kind of cuts back the benefits of a mustang.

i did own a champion 40 at some point and if i had a gig that would call for logging in and out my stuffs over and over i wouldn't look further than the champion 100 myself.

Stratafied

Dr. Stratster
Oct 29, 2019
North of South
Hi all!

I'm searching for a beginners amp.
So I started playing guitar for about several months.
I rented an amp. But now I want to buy my own.
What amps would suit me the best?

I don't want a huge amp. I have a multi-effects pedal, so that would compensate (I hope)
the build in amp models. I want something that I (as a beginner) can use for few years.
My budget is about 150 (hopefully I can get something decent).
I searched for the best beginners amp on the internet, but they all wanna try to sell the amps.
So I'm not sure.

Pls don't try to sell something to me :).
I just want your advice.

Thx!
Harley Benton 5 watt tube amp.

heltershelton

Vivamus libero Vivamus duris
Jun 5, 2013
Texas
get a used line 6 spider 3.
you can use it with the multi effects pedal and it will sound great.
there is a way to turn it on that will disable the amps preamp, effectively making it a powered frfr speaker.
you hold down the tap/delay button while powering it on.
i did this all the time with my 500x.
you can get them for next to nothing.

Jimbo99

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 5, 2021
Palm Coast, FL
yeah i was going to say champion 20/40 also. Your multi effect pedal kind of cuts back the benefits of a mustang.

i did own a champion 40 at some point and if i had a gig that would call for logging in and out my stuffs over and over i wouldn't look further than the champion 100 myself.
The Mustang I V2 has a hidden feature, hold down the TAP button & power the amp on simultaneously, the amp is ready to play in a neutral clean channel, disabling the amp voicing sims, effects & reverb. To power it up with all the factory presets, just turn it off and back on again. With the simultaneous TAP & Power On, you can use your pedals to shape the sound from the amp.

I'd try it with a Champion 20 as it has a single channel as well, with the tap button.

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
Don't laugh...
The 3 watt BlackStar Fly is a very affordable Amp! It has really great sound, runs on batteries for ages, and sounds awesome!
Output the Amp to a mixer or USB Interface to your computer using any Digital Audio Workstation application like Garageband on a Mac, or other free Windows Apps like Audacity.
A good set of speakers will surprise you how much information is there!
You can record this, and listen back through your HIFI System or computer, which will reveal the full dynamic range and BASS, that will clearly be missing live thru the portable amp.

Try it!
THEN after that, you might upgrade to a 12 inch speaker type amp, that delivers full dynamic range and tones live. Fender, Roland or Marshall to name a few make awesome amplifiers, but, even 2nd hand, they are significantly more cost than the current budget you mentioned!
I would suggest getting a Looper or Digitech TRIO PLUS... which you can play along with a BAND... You can look on YouTube to see how well it works as a practice tool! Check it out!

The reason I suggest this, is an intermediate step or steps with greater spend, will actually cost you more, much more in the long run!

Nate D

Most Honored Senior Member
Apr 2, 2016
Philly, PA
get a used line 6 spider 3.
you can use it with the multi effects pedal and it will sound great.
there is a way to turn it on that will disable the amps preamp, effectively making it a powered frfr speaker.
you hold down the tap/delay button while powering it on.
i did this all the time with my 500x.
you can get them for next to nothing.
This or the katana mini

Leofender

Plink... Need a restring!!
Silver Member
Aug 28, 2021
Australia
Used Orange Crush 35 RT. They are like $269.00 US new, but can be found for half of that used. Has effects loop, 2 channels, option for pedal switching and a 10 inch speaker. And a built in tuner.

That's really great value! Given the budget constraints, seems like a really beautiful option. Orange amps look so cool!

3bolt79

Dr. Stratster
Oct 16, 2018
Oregon
That's really great value! Given the budget constraints, seems like a really beautiful option. Orange amps look so cool!

I’ve tried the whole line of Orange SS amps, and the 35RT is the best sounding, most tube like, out of the Crush line. It’s too bad that the OP isn’t in the US, I have an Orange crush 12 he could have. It just needs a power cord.