Beginner Acoustic Electric

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
Maybe this one is an option too? A but smaller, cutaway, pickup built in… and it’s rather cheap, at least here :)

Attachments

• 9BE70B18-4FBB-4E7E-AED2-0070FA5F4E96.jpeg
    9BE70B18-4FBB-4E7E-AED2-0070FA5F4E96.jpeg
    170.8 KB · Views: 6

Exhead

Strat-Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2014
Temples of Syrinx
The wife says she wants to get a guitar for a 13 year old. Was expecting to hear he wanted an electric and was thinking the Squier Strat Pack with 3 months of free Fender online lessons. But apparently he wants an acoustic-electric similar to an uncle that plays at local establishments.

Want something decent sounding to keep him in the game. Free lessons would be good. A Fender CD-60 seems good but the electric add-on and a cutaway seems to jack up the price by a hundred. Maybe we can catch a BF sale but so far no great deals except maybe for a lefty.

Any recommendations?

No consideration of the Slick Deal link for an $89 Acoustic Electric leading to Adorama who are a reputable dealer? I believe this is perfect for the beginner and fits the budget. No comment? Link

fishermike

Strat-Talker
Dec 4, 2019
Santa Barbara
Over on AGF, the Yamaha FG800 would be the consensus choice. $229 all day every day damn near anywhere that sells guitars.

Another great choice would be a used Seagull S6, which you can find on Craigslist in that same price range.

Neither of them come with a pickup, but he doesn't need one yet. There's no reason to play an acoustic amplified unless you're playing to a crowd, which no beginner is going to be doing. Plus, if he's going to plug in, he needs something to plug into = more $$$. If he gets good enough, he can add a pickup later, trade up, or just play into a microphone to get better tone than any pickup is ever going to give him.

The other thing to budget a few bucks for is a good setup. If a guitar is easy to play, and sounds good, he'll be hooked for life. If it has high action, poor intonation, buzzes, etc., he's likely to get frustrated, put it down, and never pick it up again. A good setup is the key to playability.

joe_cpwe

Senior Stratmaster
Jul 21, 2015
WI, USA
My default recommendation in these cases is Yamaha. The guitars are good and priced right. The electronics in their low cost acoustics sound surprisingly good too. Buy new or wade through the used guitars churning on Marketplace locally.

Last edited:

hardwired

Strat-Talker
May 24, 2019
Lost in space
Maybe this one is an option too? A but smaller, cutaway, pickup built in… and it’s rather cheap, at least here :)
That must be the “Cat Jack” model
she was ribbing me on.

Over on AGF, the Yamaha FG800 would be the consensus choice. $229 all day every day damn near anywhere that sells guitars.

Another great choice would be a used Seagull S6, which you can find on Craigslist in that same price range.

Neither of them come with a pickup, but he doesn't need one yet. There's no reason to play an acoustic amplified unless you're playing to a crowd, which no beginner is going to be doing. Plus, if he's going to plug in, he needs something to plug into = more $$$. If he gets good enough, he can add a pickup later, trade up, or just play into a microphone to get better tone than any pickup is ever going to give him.

The other thing to budget a few bucks for is a good setup. If a guitar is easy to play, and sounds good, he'll be hooked for life. If it has high action, poor intonation, buzzes, etc., he's likely to get frustrated, put it down, and never pick it up again. A good setup is the key to playability.

I hear you, I have two Yamaha acoustic electrics in the house. Wife has the thin body and wAnted a plug in. But these are rarely plugged in.

But that’s the thing, the kid “wants” an acoustic electric as this is what the uncle plays live. He expressly said acoustic electric. Anything else and there is disappointment because of the expectation.

My first choice would have been electric for a beginner. Fender Strat Pack. But that’s not what he wanted.

I’ll check it out when it come in. Went the extra mile to get a solid top and preamp/tuner so the budget is shot, so no pricey GC setup. I’ll sneak in a gig bag, picks and a strap.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
That must be the “Cat Jack” model
she was ribbing me on.

I hear you, I have two Yamaha acoustic electrics in the house. Wife has the thin body and wAnted a plug in. But these are rarely plugged in.

But that’s the thing, the kid “wants” an acoustic electric as this is what the uncle plays live. He expressly said acoustic electric. Anything else and there is disappointment because of the expectation.

My first choice would have been electric for a beginner. Fender Strat Pack. But that’s not what he wanted.

I’ll check it out when it come in. Went the extra mile to get a solid top and preamp/tuner so the budget is shot, so no pricey GC setup. I’ll sneak in a gig bag, picks and a strap.
Uhh what is that Cat Jack stuff you keep talking about? The one I posted is a Fender model…

albala

Dr. Stratster
May 10, 2012
Hilton Head, South Carolina
I have given guitar lessons to a lot of beginners over the last 25 years, and this is just my opinion.

I would look for the easiest playing, best sounding used acoustic guitar you can find locally. Even if it means saving up a little longer. You might even find one with a built in pickup.

If the guitar is hard to play and doesn't sound good, he won't play it and you will have wasted your money and possibly turn him off to guitar permanently.

The electric part is more of an overpriced distraction, and I guarantee it will barely get used.

Let his second acoustic be acoustic/electric and let it be a reward for sticking with it for 2 or 3 years.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
The wife says she wants to get a guitar for a 13 year old. Was expecting to hear he wanted an electric and was thinking the Squier Strat Pack with 3 months of free Fender online lessons. But apparently he wants an acoustic-electric similar to an uncle that plays at local establishments.

Want something decent sounding to keep him in the game. Free lessons would be good. A Fender CD-60 seems good but the electric add-on and a cutaway seems to jack up the price by a hundred. Maybe we can catch a BF sale but so far no great deals except maybe for a lefty.

Any recommendations?
What is your price point?

Chipss36

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 1, 2018
Texas
Something to consider, I think a lower end acoustic, with a bad set up, is about the worst way, for any student, to try and learn on,
I would look for a well set up used guitar, that plays well, regardless of brand, much more than a brand new one, that has a horrible set up, I think this issue right here is responsible for more student’s quitting than any other, a bad set up on a low end acoustic.

just my opinion.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
May 20, 2020
Sante Fe, NM
For $250 I’d be looking at pawn shops and Craigslist. There is nothing new in that price point that will be suitable.

a used takamine or Yamaha acoustic electric is what I’d be suggesting At this price point.

drp146

Strat-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 8, 2020
Oklahoma

Any recommendations?
I can say that I've had one of the reasonably priced Fender acoustics with cutaway and pickup. It was a pretty decent guitar that played and sounded nice. They can be had used for a very good price.

hardwired

Strat-Talker
May 24, 2019
Lost in space
Uhh what is that Cat Jack stuff you keep talking about? The one I posted is a Fender model…

Sorry I meant the Boroughs slick deal Burst that exhead posted. Clicked reply on the wiring sunburst, they all look the same to me on a small phone screen LOL.

FA135 was a runner up. Paid close to that price in old $US inflationated dollars for the CD-60 version.