Archtop suggestions

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
Hello, Ive been looking for an archtop guitar, one of those 20's Gibson style ones, not es335s. Anyway, my max I can pay is maybe $600, and to find a good guitar for that has been real hard, so I want to ask for a little help. I would buy used, and the guitar would be a regular player, so it needs to last a long time. Any help appreciated, thanks.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Hello, Ive been looking for an archtop guitar, one of those 20's Gibson style ones, not es335s. Anyway, my max I can pay is maybe $600, and to find a good guitar for that has been real hard, so I want to ask for a little help. I would buy used, and the guitar would be a regular player, so it needs to last a long time. Any help appreciated, thanks.
An Archtop like in the 20s? Basically a "Jazz Box"?
IMG_20220417_180314798.jpg
I just sold my Epiphone Emperor Regent.

Sounds similar to what you're describing. Perhaps too big?

I had one of these for a while.
Smaller body, very nice.

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
You might be able to find a used 'The Loar' LH-309 guitar for around that price.
It's a 20s Gibson style archtop with no cutaway and a single P90 pickup.
Alternately, check out used Godin 5th Avenue models, or some of the Ibanez Artcore offerings.

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
Do you want a pickup, like the floating pickup in the last post?

And do you want to play swing or some other style of music on it?
A pickup would be nice, but not necessary, and as for styles I play a little bit of everything.
This is a 70's archeop. Is this the style of guitar you're looking for?

View attachment 559873
Yeah, sorry, I wasn't very descriptive, but yes. That one looks like a guild?

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
You might be able to find a used 'The Loar' LH-309 guitar for around that price.
Alternately, check out used Godin 5th Avenue models, or some of the Ibanez Artcore offerings.
All good ideas.

i have the Godin archtop w/ the P90...it's a great guitar, but the price is app. $699 retail

Reverb has one for $520

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
I like the loar ones, but I've heard some bad things about them, (all reviews I could find were from 10 years ago) I've heard they have terrible fretwork, but I don't know so if anyone can give a more recent review of the ones they make now?

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
I like the loar ones, but I've heard some bad things about them, (all reviews I could find were from 10 years ago) I've heard they have terrible fretwork, but I don't know so if anyone can give a more recent review of the ones they make now?
I tried a few Loar models at the NAMM show some years ago and was not overly impressed by the acoustic tone.

FrieAsABird

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 18, 2020
Germany
I’ve only heard good things about the Godin Kingpin so that’s what gets my vote. Other than that, have you checked out the Epiphone Masterbilt Series? Also great Reviews, no idea how much they are new though.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
D’Angelico EXL-1 is nice, has an actual usable unplugged acoustic sound and the pickup as well.
Great neck and fretwork too, it’s the real thing in the short money competition.

Telecaster582

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2022
Muskegon MI
D’Angelico EXL-1 is nice, has an actual usable unplugged acoustic sound and the pickup as well.
Great neck and fretwork too, it’s the real thing in the short money competition.
I wish I could get one for that price in something other than black, but it's like everything I like on a guitar: block inlays, fancy headstock, and I love the D'Angelico pickguards. Definitely gonna be one I think about

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
Lovely guitar...

but there is a big difference in the tone of a guitar with 2 pickups cut into the top and the same guitar body without the pickups when played without an amp.
100%. That's why my first suggestions had floating neck pickups only. I only endorsed the idea the Emperor 2 after the OP suggested it as an option of interest.

That being said this is my "go to" for couch or backyard playing as I don't dig most actual acoustics. For a few years I even had acoustic strings on it just to see how that would go.
@Telecaster582