Anyone have a guitar safe?

Della Street

Parasite
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA
there was a time i kept them in the closet and in their cases. they never got played.
now they are all up on the wall and my playing is making progress with almost daily practice.
if i were to put them in a safe, i might as well forego my guitaring altogether.
or is it more of a collecting/investment situation for you?

Last edited:

guitarface

Most Honored Senior Member
Nov 11, 2012
New Jersey
I have been thinking about buying like a 64 gun safe and gutting it to put my guitars in. I have a lot of money in guitars and would feel better when I am out of town if they were in a safe. Am I being un necessarily paranoid? Does anyone keep their guitars in a safe?

I don’t know the kind of neighborhood you live in, but it sounds a little nuts.

LedZepconcertvet

Strat-O-Master
Jan 23, 2022
Sinks Grove, WV
I have been thinking about buying like a 64 gun safe and gutting it to put my guitars in. I have a lot of money in guitars and would feel better when I am out of town if they were in a safe. Am I being un necessarily paranoid? Does anyone keep their guitars in a safe?
No, but it's a great idea. A lot of guitars are as expensive as firearms, if not more. A 64 gun safe is a very heavy and bulky proposition, you may want to consider two smaller ones. I'm just saying... Let us know how it turns out!

Tylerlayne

Strat-O-Master
Jul 18, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
there was a time i kept them in the closet and in their cases. they never got played.
now they are all up on the wall and my playing is making progress with almost daily practice.
if i were put them in a safe, i might as well forego my guitaring altogether.
or is it more of a collecting/investment situation for you?
I have a safe right now {not for guitars} and trust me its not a strenuous activity if you know the combination to get into. I keep all my guitars in their cases in my what I call my studio. I play several times a day.

dirocyn

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 20, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
I've looked at safes advertised as holding 64 guns (like the $2000 safe from Sam's Club), but most of those would have to be handguns--It looks to have racks for 16 long guns. Interior dimensions of the safe are not listed on their website. If you're putting guitars in cases inside that, I'm not sure it'll fit more than 2. Without cases and just leaning them in on top of each other, you'd fit 4 easy. Maybe even 6, but they'll bang into each other.

Take your measurements carefully. I would not spend $2000 on a safe to hold $2000 worth of guitars.

Higgins1980

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 11, 2013
North Carolina
I would suggest a proper insurance policy first.

tap4154

Strat-Talker
Jan 20, 2014
Southern California
I don't have an expensive collection, and keep them in my closet, and a few out on the walls that I play. I don't know what kind of money you're talking about with your collection, but maybe it would be more cost-effective just to fortify one room in your home where you store them? Just make sure you have a good solid core door with several locks. If it's downstairs, put bars on the windows. Of course a determined thief could break through drywall from another room, but usually some good deterrence is all we need. Also don't make it known that you have expensive guitars.

In fact I just remembered that many many years ago I went out to do an estimate to install an air conditioner in a large garage behind a very old, and somewhat small home in the oldest part of the town that he lived in. It turned out to be a known session player, and the entire room was filled with very expensive amps and guitars. He wanted to make sure I came back because he wanted as few people as possible to see what he had.

Della Street

Parasite
Platinum Supporting Member
Jan 9, 2022
USA
Any guitar I own would have to be prised from my cold dead hand by any would be thief. And only after i'd beaten the crap out of them with it! 👍🙂
i think that any screw-on or even a set neck guitar will be an unreliable weapon on account of neck-to body connection. i feel after a few blows the joint will weaken.

now, i have a nice Japanese through-neck strat. that one would make a nimble, precise and durable beater.

also, i used to have an 11-pound Hagstrom. i don't know how durable it would be in a melee environment, but considering that it would only take a single well-placed blow to KO the guitar thief, i think it would also work well. same, probably, goes for any true not weight-relieved Les Paul.

acoustics are only deadly with aid of Hollywood FX. i wouldn't trust an acoustic in a bar fight.
tenor-2966244300.gif

Roger66

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 21, 2021
Port Hueneme
i think that any screw-on or even a set neck guitar will be an unreliable weapon on account of neck-to body connection. i feel after a few blows the joint will weaken.

now, i have a nice Japanese through-neck strat. that one would make a nimble, precise and durable beater.

also, i used to have an 11-pound Hagstrom. i don't know how durable it would be in a melee environment, but considering that it would only take a single well-placed blow to KO the guitar thief, i think it would also work well. same, probably, goes for any true not weight-relieved Les Paul.

acoustics are only deadly with aid of Hollywood FX. i wouldn't trust an acoustic in a bar fight.
View attachment 621706
Actually, having done the research, a strat would cause a hell of a lot of damage to a person if they were subjected to a good swing of the guitar. It takes 2 or 3 times against concrete to separate the neck from the body, so the thief would definitely be incapacitated.

Tylerlayne

Strat-O-Master
Jul 18, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
No, but it's a great idea. A lot of guitars are as expensive as firearms, if not more. A 64 gun safe is a very heavy and bulky proposition, you may want to consider two smaller ones. I'm just saying... Let us know how it turns out!
Yeah, I have probably 15k dollars in guitars.
I've looked at safes advertised as holding 64 guns (like the $2000 safe from Sam's Club), but most of those would have to be handguns--It looks to have racks for 16 long guns. Interior dimensions of the safe are not listed on their website. If you're putting guitars in cases inside that, I'm not sure it'll fit more than 2. Without cases and just leaning them in on top of each other, you'd fit 4 easy. Maybe even 6, but they'll bang into each other.

Take your measurements carefully. I would not spend $2000 on a safe to hold $2000 worth of guitars.
I have a Liberty 36 gun safe. It has shelves in it that are removable. I think if I removed all the shelves I could easily get 3 and possibly 4 guitars in cases inside. I use it for valuables and guns though. Having it is what gave me the idea.

Tylerlayne

Strat-O-Master
Jul 18, 2021
St Augustine, Florida
I would suggest a proper insurance policy first.
I live in Florida on the coast. No one will sell me homeowners insurance. I have tried 6 companies and no one will cover me. A lot of companies are dropping people who have had insurance with them for years because of hurricane risk. If I could find a company it would be totally outrageously priced.

Latest posts