Birmingham UK
Actually, it's not.
Besides the ultra fat neck, there's a proprietary wiring scheme:
the 3 switch positions are 'deep bass' (extreme treble rolloff),
blend of neck and bridge (controlled by the tone knob in the
middle switch position),
and 'no-load' bridge (tone knob disabled in the rearmost switch
position).

That's not the usual Tele setup of neck/both/bridge.
Like the '50-'67 Teles, then?

rolandson

Dr. Stratster
Jul 13, 2015
Foothills of the Cascades
Sure! A strat would never take a glass like that....😬
Really. Poor schmuck put a glass of whiskey on my super reverb. Next thing that hit him was being unable to eat.

Bad juju mess'n with a fellow's amp.

Course, the schmuck is me and the inability to eat is because that is where I set the glass down when the phone rang with a call from the physician treating me, advising me to get in to see him soon, then the why.

I forgot about it, the glass, and when I got home from hospital 10 days later, I was still rather ill. The whiskey had evaporated anyway...what a waste of good scotch.

Bazz Jass

Chairman of the Fingerboard
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2014
Off the map
Really. Poor schmuck put a glass of whiskey on my super reverb. Next thing that hit him was being unable to eat.

Bad juju mess'n with a fellow's amp.

Course, the schmuck is me and the inability to eat is because that is where I set the glass down when the phone rang with a call from the physician treating me, advising me to get in to see him soon, then the why.

I forgot about it, the glass, and when I got home from hospital 10 days later, I was still rather ill. The whiskey had evaporated anyway...what a waste of good scotch.
Ouch! :(

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
Like the '50-'67 Teles, then?
Sorry, i misspoke.
It's been a while since i've played a Nocaster, and i was conflating a few different things there.
This will explain the '50/'51 Broadcaster/Nocaster wiring scheme more fully:
Apologies again.

Last edited:

dogletnoir

V----V
Nov 1, 2013
northeastern us
Interestingly, mine (2008 NOS) was factory setup with standard tele wiring. An additional 3-way switch, with vintage spec wiring, is in a sealed bag in the case compartment.

Having tried the original vintage set-up on a friend's guitar, I'm happy to stick to modern wiring as installed. :thumb:
The one i had was a very early Fender Custom Shop relic version,
and i remember it had a very funky wiring scheme.
The forward switch position was one i actually used a lot for jazzy stuff.
Very dark, but cool.
It also came from the factory missing the round switch tip for some reason...
all part of the relic vibe, i suppose.

i liked it a lot, but it was one of three guitars i traded to get my 1929 L-5,
which i also don't have any more.

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
Sorry, i misspoke.
It's been awhile since i've played a Nocaster, and i was conflating a few different things there.
This will explain the '50/'51 Broadcaster/Nocaster wiring scheme more fully:
Apologies again.
No apology necessary. All groovy, here.
Even the neck thing. I have played one, a long time ago, and they're a big neck for a Fender, but it's all relative.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
My favourite tone on my broadcaster is the bridge pickup with the neck half blended in. It’s got the dark circuit which I actually really like. Not much use for the 3rd position(neck with a 15k restore and 0.05uf cap) because it’s really bass like. I do still use it from time to time.

Still the middle position(neck straight through) is great but blending the bridge and neck will cover lots of different songs. A little reverb and overdrive, even more songs.

Intune

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 14, 2021
Edmonton, Alberta
It's a clamp marketed by Fender and it's to give the guitar more sustain. I put them on the Tele and 2 of my Strats. $18 each. Not sure if it does anything, but it's padded so it's not messing up the headstock.

Anything that I’ve had that says “nitro safe” over time messed up the finish. If it’s not really doing anything for sustain then I’d probably remove it. I have headstock stains from a “safe” wall hanger and stains on the bodies from “safe” Hercules guitar racks.

Hard to see on the body but it’s there. 5052A3CF-2D33-40E0-85B1-36FB772EC88E.jpeg 279354B7-D597-41A4-A9E3-5AA473E11D06.jpeg