American Professional thoughts...

wendigo

New Member!
Jun 7, 2022
Canada
Hey,

I just picked up an American professional HSS (2016) in near-mint shape for a wicked price (I think the seller might have been a meth dealer 😁). Anyway, I immediately swapped out the appalling Shawbucker for a Duncan JB, split in pos. 2 (I might put a SD '59 in there at some point, just to see. I had the little '59 in my other Strat and it rocked). The Vmods aren't really doing it for me, although they're not bad. Gonna put fat 50s in there, and I'll also probably remove the treble bleed as I find the lows and mids go away with volume change, creating a kind of thin sound. I'd probably do the treble bleed first to see how the Vmods sound afterwards. Who's with me on this? Am I alone in this opinion? Everything else seems fine. Here it is:

strat.jpg

Tone Deaf

Stratosaurus Magnificus
Platinum Supporting Member
Feb 12, 2009
New Jersey, USA
Treble bleed prevents loss of highs as you decrease the volume knob.

If I did not misread - what you are saying is the opposite, that you want to lose the highs as you turn the volume down.

Without a treble bleed, You get muddier ( all mids and lows ) as you turn down the volume.

Huntsetter1

Strat-Talk Member
Sep 30, 2020
Texas
Good looking guitar. Black tuners would look great on that. Can’t speak to the pickups. The one I have has cs69’s. I have a pro II HSS with the new vmods that I’m happy with.

Highway Chile

Strat-Talker
Apr 19, 2012
Maryland
I have an AmPro and I think the treble bleed is one of my favorite features. I’ve never had that on any guitar (and I’ve owned a lot of guitars over the decades). I like the V-mod pups well enough but there are better pickups out there if you’re going for a particular tone. The v-mods are versatile, though. I would keep the treble bleed regardless of the pickups you go with, but as always ymmv.

AV59

Senior Stratmaster
Aug 3, 2015
New York
I with the OP on the treble bleed, I feel it leaves too much treble in the tone when the volume is lowered, or how he describes it less mid and bass.

Nice guitar man.

wendigo

New Member!
Jun 7, 2022
Canada
Treble bleed prevents loss of highs as you decrease the volume knob.

If I did not misread - what you are saying is the opposite, that you want to lose the highs as you turn the volume down.

Without a treble bleed, You get muddier ( all mids and lows ) as you turn down the volume.
Right, it retains the highs, but the side effect is that you also lose bass and mid when you decrease volume. I like regular circuits that keep the mids and lows, but lose treble with volume roll-off, thus me wanting to remove the treble bleed. What might be ideal is if it would retain the same balance of highs, mids and lows, but it seems to keep the treble at the same level as before the roll-off, while everything else gets reduced.....thin sound.

Last edited:

wendigo

New Member!
Jun 7, 2022
Canada
I have an AmPro and I think the treble bleed is one of my favorite features. I’ve never had that on any guitar (and I’ve owned a lot of guitars over the decades). I like the V-mod pups well enough but there are better pickups out there if you’re going for a particular tone. The v-mods are versatile, though. I would keep the treble bleed regardless of the pickups you go with, but as always ymmv.
Yeah I've had the Fat 50s before in Strats and I keep coming back to them...so full and crystal clear. But they get dirty as well and have a real growl/bark with gain and or volume. I've never found a single coil in a Strat that can touch them in 33 years of guitar.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
They were actually released in December 2016; if I'm remembering the discussions we had about these back in November/December 2016 it seems like Fender ceased making American Standards and started making the American Professionals circa September 2016.

Also for what it's worth the Fender serial number decals were "changing over" circa March of a given year back then; it's probably closer to February for the past couple of years.

KingChaos

New Member!
Mar 27, 2021
New York
I know it's a bit older thread, but I have the same concerns as you. I recently got a Fender Pro II Hss with the VMod single coils and VMod double tab humbucker. I felt the humbucker sounded great when dialed up, but I tend to lower my guitar volume for rythm and then everything just disappears into just this thin sound. I ended up swapping it out for a Duncan JB. I have a pearly gates in my other strat with hot noiseless pickups, and it sounds great, but the the JB in this strat I though would balance better as the Vmod's have higher output and a little punchier. Personally, except for the typical single coil hum, I think the Vmods sound great. But I did lower the height a bit and that really opened them up. I'm about 8/64ths on the bass side and 6/64ths on the treble on the vmods.

That being said, I have mixed feelings about the treble bleed. I think it sounds good on the single coils, but horrible on the humbucker, whether it was the original Double Tap Humbucker or the duncan JB. I pulled the treble bleeds out (on my strat there are two treble bleeds on a double ganged pot. One for the singles and one for the humbucker). I put the one back in for the single coils and then put a less extreme one in for the humbucker, basically the same type that PRS uses. But, I just don't think a treble bleed works with the JB as it can be a fairly bright pickup, and my strat is a bright guitar and its running off a 500k pot. However, the treble bleed works great on my other strat which is also a bright guitar, with 500k pot and a bright pearly gates pickup.

It's been two months since your post, and I would like to hear where you landed on all this. Also, nothing more classic cool than a black strat and maple fretboard.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
Love everything about AM Pros except for those v mod pickups. I really don't like them. they're just bland - nondescript. I like the Player series stock pickups better in fact. And i don't care for treble bleeds either. Did you put Fat 50's in there?

Stephen James

Strat-Talker
Vendor Member
May 30, 2016
Iowa City
I with the OP on the treble bleed, I feel it leaves too much treble in the tone when the volume is lowered, or how he describes it less mid and bass.

Nice guitar man.

Right, it retains the highs, but the side effect is that you also lose bass and mid when you decrease volume. I like regular circuits that keep the mids and lows, but lose treble with volume roll-off, thus me wanting to remove the treble bleed. What might be ideal is if it would retain the same balance of highs, mids and lows, but it seems to keep the treble at the same level as before the roll-off, while everything else gets reduced.....thin sound.

I know it's a bit older thread, but I have the same concerns as you. I recently got a Fender Pro II Hss with the VMod single coils and VMod double tab humbucker. I felt the humbucker sounded great when dialed up, but I tend to lower my guitar volume for rythm and then everything just disappears into just this thin sound. I ended up swapping it out for a Duncan JB. I have a pearly gates in my other strat with hot noiseless pickups, and it sounds great, but the the JB in this strat I though would balance better as the Vmod's have higher output and a little punchier. Personally, except for the typical single coil hum, I think the Vmods sound great. But I did lower the height a bit and that really opened them up. I'm about 8/64ths on the bass side and 6/64ths on the treble on the vmods.

That being said, I have mixed feelings about the treble bleed. I think it sounds good on the single coils, but horrible on the humbucker, whether it was the original Double Tap Humbucker or the duncan JB. I pulled the treble bleeds out (on my strat there are two treble bleeds on a double ganged pot. One for the singles and one for the humbucker). I put the one back in for the single coils and then put a less extreme one in for the humbucker, basically the same type that PRS uses. But, I just don't think a treble bleed works with the JB as it can be a fairly bright pickup, and my strat is a bright guitar and its running off a 500k pot. However, the treble bleed works great on my other strat which is also a bright guitar, with 500k pot and a bright pearly gates pickup.

It's been two months since your post, and I would like to hear where you landed on all this. Also, nothing more classic cool than a black strat and maple fretboard.

I'm not saying the members quoted above would categorically eschew all instances of treble bleed, but I do see 'I cut out my treble bleed, they are bad' so often here I wanted to mention the following..

IMHO, a person saying they don't like a treble bleed on their guitar is like a person stating that they don't like reverb (especially if saying that to a mix engineer/producer). There is more than one flavor/treatment of reverb available to a producer, just like there are different implementations of 'treble bleed' available to a player, each producing different sonic qualities keeping along the 'treble presence as you turn down volume' theme.

'Treble bleeds' are a variable entity: one can always change cap values, add resistors in parallel, add resistors in series, or all of the above, to suit one's preferred level of subtlety and expectation..

Stephen James

Strat-Talker
Vendor Member
May 30, 2016
Iowa City
Also, I have no idea if the 2016 American Pro has the PCB version of treble bleed, but you can always swap it for regular cap+resistor setups..

I make my own using high insertion force connectors so I can quickly swap different setups in and out quickly, here's the pigtail version:

screen-shot-2022-08-13-at-1.50.13-pm.png

pxl_20211219_171247239_1000px.jpg

60 60 60

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 9, 2020
Australia
Hey,

I just picked up an American professional HSS (2016) in near-mint shape for a wicked price (I think the seller might have been a meth dealer 😁). Anyway, I immediately swapped out the appalling Shawbucker for a Duncan JB, split in pos. 2 (I might put a SD '59 in there at some point, just to see. I had the little '59 in my other Strat and it rocked). The Vmods aren't really doing it for me, although they're not bad. Gonna put fat 50s in there, and I'll also probably remove the treble bleed as I find the lows and mids go away with volume change, creating a kind of thin sound. I'd probably do the treble bleed first to see how the Vmods sound afterwards. Who's with me on this? Am I alone in this opinion? Everything else seems fine. Here it is:

strat.jpg
Just asking out of curiosity, if you minus the pickups and the treble bleed, maybe fretwork. Are the US made strats any different from Mex or MIJ?

I'm not trying to be funny or smart just want to know what other people think about the difference in those guitars. I myself never believed in better wood selection or whatever, but the American Original Strat I recently got just rings man, the most resonant guitar I've ever played and it sounds wonderful even without being plugged in. When it's plugged in my god it's amazing. So I wonder.... if guitars are different wood to wood based on the price point and manufacturing. 🤔

somebodyelseuk

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 29, 2022
Birmingham UK
Hey,

strat.jpg
Nice.
It's your guitar, you do what you need to do.
Love yer Yammie, too - I've had a couple since the '80 ;)

PlayerOne

Strat-Talker
Jan 29, 2022
Charlotte, nc
I have a couple of Standard loaded with Fat50's so Im good there. And while my 2018 Pro, with the SSS V-mode has some different tone, I find them all very usefull.
As far as the treble bleed, that only has any effect when you turn the volume down, and who does that. I play around with the tone controls and get all the variations I need without messing with the volume control. And I might mention that the guy running the board appreciates it when I maintain a constant volume.