Ah ****!

Ruscio

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 14, 2016
Pennsylvania
I just built this for my stepdaughter.
View attachment 621287
Am Special body courtesy of @Ruscio, Warmoth neck courtesy of @Lonn, Fender lockers, trem and other hardware are from a Fender CS via Stratosphere. Pickups are Slick '69s from GFS...and are surprisingly good. The body was Shoreline, or Aztec, Gold...and still is. I sprayed the Shell Pink nitro right over it.

Ah ****!:
View attachment 621288
How did I not think of this! Lol. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to buy another neck. This one is too ornate for my personal tastes so I would also have the hassle of resale. Plus, she loves this one. Thanks in advance!
I had that body set up with a Warmoth modern neck, with the side-adjust truss rod. I did some testing on another neck/body and found that 3 screws was sufficient to hold the neck firmly in place. The 4th screw, which overlaps with the truss adjust, I cut short so that it penetrated a little bit into the neck (which I drilled at the right spot, just down to the truss adjust unit). I figured that would at least help to prevent lateral movement, even though there weren't many threads really digging deep to prevent the neck from lifting off. I had it set up that way for a year or two, no problems. I've currently got two other modern-style Warmoth necks with the side-adjust truss rods attached in just that way to Warmoth strat bodies. I can't promise you won't have a problem, but I've been doing it on several guitars with no issues for several years.

dbb541

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 14, 2010
Eugene
I would dowel the hole in the body and use a short screw to "fill out" the holes in the neck plate. It could always be drilled out later if a different neck is used.

EZPZ :cool:
^^^^ this^^^ is exactly what I would do to.

Another option (if there is room) would be to use a shallow threaded bolt insert in the neck. It wouldn't need to go very deep into the neck. You would of course need a bolt the correct length to make this work. Probably not worth the hassle. I see no reason the screws wont hold the neck solid.

wooders

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Nov 19, 2021
Kent
I just built this for my stepdaughter.
View attachment 621287
Am Special body courtesy of @Ruscio, Warmoth neck courtesy of @Lonn, Fender lockers, trem and other hardware are from a Fender CS via Stratosphere. Pickups are Slick '69s from GFS...and are surprisingly good. The body was Shoreline, or Aztec, Gold...and still is. I sprayed the Shell Pink nitro right over it.

Ah ****!:
View attachment 621288
How did I not think of this! Lol. Any ideas? I really don't want to have to buy another neck. This one is too ornate for my personal tastes so I would also have the hassle of resale. Plus, she loves this one. Thanks in advance!
Could resin fix a short threaded insert and use a correct length bolt. If you ever sold the neck, it would then be useable on either heel type.
IMG_20230124_201204.jpg

CyFan4036

Senior Stratmaster
Platinum Supporting Member
Mar 22, 2018
You are here
I had that body set up with a Warmoth modern neck, with the side-adjust truss rod. I did some testing on another neck/body and found that 3 screws was sufficient to hold the neck firmly in place. The 4th screw, which overlaps with the truss adjust, I cut short so that it penetrated a little bit into the neck (which I drilled at the right spot, just down to the truss adjust unit). I figured that would at least help to prevent lateral movement, even though there weren't many threads really digging deep to prevent the neck from lifting off. I had it set up that way for a year or two, no problems. I've currently got two other modern-style Warmoth necks with the side-adjust truss rods attached in just that way to Warmoth strat bodies. I can't promise you won't have a problem, but I've been doing it on several guitars with no issues for several years.
I very well may do this. I played the hell out of it and nothing shifted.

Geoff06

Strat-O-Master
Nov 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I have an idea that I didn't see listed. However, I'm not familiar with the layout of that type of internal truss rod mechanism.

Take the neck plate off, dowel/pilot drill the spot for the screw in question and cut that screw down or get a shorter one. Set that screw aside. With the neck plate still off, drill for a full length screw to the right and toward the headstock (following the shape of the neck plate) and countersink it so the neck plate sits flush over it. Install the hidden screw, then install neck plate as normal. You'd never need to wonder if the neck joint is strong enough.

Otherwise, I think the threaded insert is the next best thing. It just wouldn't have much wood around it to support it.