5th

stratubes

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2022
Sienna burst
Thanks for the replies. The 1st was an MIJ Candy Apple Red (basswood) with a locking nut and a really bad Vibrato w/fine tuners. You would get a blast of Rosewood every time the case was opened. 2nd- was Poplar w/an Ash top transparent, blk PG, covers, bought used. 3rd had an MIA Sienna Sunburst Northern Ash body, Maple FB modern tuners and vibrato, Texas Special SCs and a Pearly Gates + HB. Kept for a long time. Last a 3TSB MIM Deluxe Player, Swamp Ash, with a really bad rosewood FB. Noiseless pups, push button adds ft pup in pos. 1 and 2, gold hardware. I replaced the PG, pup and vibrato covers, switch and bar tip, 2 pots, the cap and installed Fat '50s. Great pups.
MIMs used to be 600., now, some are 1200. The MIA Pro II has quality but quite expensive. I think a lot of people will looking at alternatives.

Attachments

• 80 blond strat.jpg
    80 blond strat.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 6
  • deluxe player.jpg
    deluxe player.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 7
  • fender japan.jpg
    fender japan.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 6
  • fender-american-standard-st-2-2sm72cy.jpg
    fender-american-standard-st-2-2sm72cy.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Welcome to S-T. That MIJ was loaded with the System 1, a sort-of Floyd-Rose substitute from the 1980s. I owned one of those guitars from more than 30 years, and only sold it because even that neck had become too thin for my old hands. I'd swapped out the System 1 for a traditional 6-point years before, and chucked the locking nut. Those bits of hardware go for serious money now! Sorry to hear you didn't bond with yours, because I strongly suspect it was a very good guitar with a vibrato system you didn't gel with.

stratubes

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2022
Sienna burst
Prob the only Strat I wished I still had, but as you said I would have wanted to replace the vibrato. The pups were a bit low output as well. I had a Rosewood Taylor that did not have as much Rosewood scent as that red Strat.

Last edited:

JB74

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 22, 2018
ɹǝpunuʍop
your training is not yet complete. you must explain why you purchased each guitar and how they compare in timbre.
phrases such as "plays like butter" and "sustain for days" are not acceptable descriptors.

only when you have completed this task may you be welcomed to the dark side.

stratubes

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2022
Sienna burst
The Candy Apple Red Strat pups were a bit low output. Someone gave me an inexpensive Jazzmaster copy. This was my 1st Stratocaster. Still, the most fragrant Rosewood fb ever.
The Vintage transparent Blonde Strat (blk pg) was a Deluxe I think, quite a long time ago. It had a HB and a mini toggle sw, dark tinted Maple fb, the edges were not rolled. I cannot find an exact pic. The pups were clearer and vintage sounding than the red Strat.
The Sienna sb gtr had a great sounding hb. I mostly used it for that. I did not really like the Texas Specials. I sold it (after 10 yrs) because I was looking for the vintage no. 2 pos. sound . Being a US gtr, it had awesome quality. I saw one in the MF catalog, went to GC, asked if they had one, yes. I think it had a 1 pc body.
After I installed the Fat '50s pups in the 3tsb gtr, it sounded great! The no. 4 pos was a bit muddy, don't know why...my 1st modded gtr. I did not replace the (new) 5wy, didn't know how to de-solder all the previous solder. I almost bought a Warmoth neck. I swapped the mid + bk pup, so the no. 4 pos. had a Tele (n+b pup) like sound, worked good.
All played through a '65 DRRI, kept for many yrs. Last amp was a Dr Z M12 head with a JDesigns birch oval back cab, 1- 12" Celestion Gold. Awesome sound from both amps. May the 4th be with you-

Attachments

• M12.jpg
    M12.jpg
    962 KB · Views: 2
  • 65 drri.jpg
    65 drri.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

stratubes

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2022
Sienna burst
I currently do not have any gtr. I still have a Vox Tonelab table top gtr processer. Looking for another sss gtr. What should I buy? I found a custom shop blk Ash transparent with flame Mpl/Rswd ...over 4k... is a bit much for a Stratocaster.

Attachments

• firemist gold road worn.jpg
    firemist gold road worn.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 1
  • road worn candy apple cme.jpg
    road worn candy apple cme.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 1
  • Am Pro ll.jpg
    Am Pro ll.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

stratubes

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2022
Sienna burst
I would rather have a 2 pt vibrato with bent saddles. I am guessing the blk pg Strat had a 7.25"r. All other owned guitars had a 9.5, 10 or 12"r. I wanted to ask: are you guys satisfied with the...current...Ensenada quality, is it worth 1.2k? Not really looking for a mod project. Thanks for chiming in-

Last edited:

Noobieoldie

Strat-Talker
Jan 23, 2022
Austin, TX
I would rather have a 2 pt vibrato with bent saddles. I am guessing the blk pg Strat had a 7.25"r. All other owned guitars had a 9.5, 10 or 12"r. I wanted to ask: are you guys satisfied with the...current...Ensenada quality, is it worth 1.2k? I don't really want a mod project. Noobieoldie -I have seen Eric Johnson 4x, the last concert he had a 2nd guitarist so he could play more keyboards. Rosco Beck was there, they played almost all of Tones-was great. I think I read EJ loosens the mid 4 Vibrato screws so they just make contact. Thanks for chiming in-
The current Ensenada Player series is quite decent, and they have the 2pt vibrato that you prefer. I have a 2002 MIM Classic Series 60s with a 6-pt and a 7.25 radius that has a very good build quality, certainly better than my '74 Strat. Good luck with your search. Asking prices have definitely gone up, but there's a lot of inventory out there and bargains to be had!

stratubes

Strat-Talk Member
May 7, 2022
Sienna burst
The current Ensenada Player series is quite decent, and they have the 2pt vibrato that you prefer. I have a 2002 MIM Classic Series 60s with a 6-pt and a 7.25 radius that has a very good build quality, certainly better than my '74 Strat. Good luck with your search. Asking prices have definitely gone up, but there's a lot of inventory out there and bargains to be had!
Does your Classic Series '60s have a Rosewood or a Pao Ferro fb? What pups are installed? I guess I have narrowed it down to 2 models. One has a 2pt 9.5"r w/Mpl, the other a 6pt 7.25"r w/Pao Ferro. Not seen any in stores to demo, will have to order online.

Attachments

• fender-fender-vintera-road-worn-60s-stratocaster-f.jpg
    fender-fender-vintera-road-worn-60s-stratocaster-f.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 3
  • FenderStratocasterVintera50sModified2ToneSB-6.jpg
    FenderStratocasterVintera50sModified2ToneSB-6.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 3