50s wiring?

uncle daddy

Strat-O-Master
May 16, 2020
UK
I've just tried wiring up a new pickup set using Gibson 50s style wiring, and I get the reduced treble loss turning down the volume now, and the increased interactivity between the tone and master volume. Here's the thing- will the 50s wiring allow more single coil hum through? Either these new pickups are pretty sensitive to hum, or something else is afoot. They're Bootstrap 54 Vintage Pros, and every other set I've had from Ryan has been pretty quiet, but for some reason these seem more sensitive. They sound great, by the way!

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Musings: If you're getting more treble with the 50's wiring, you might be perceiving more hum. 60 cycle hum is low in the frequency range, but it seems to throw lots of harmonics and we hear those better than the low frequencies.

uncle daddy

Strat-O-Master
May 16, 2020
UK
So, today I put this back to standard strat wiring for comparison, and yes, the 50s wiring makes the pickups quite a bit more strident than stock. More dynamic, and a bit more noise prone, it would seem. Useful if your pickups are a bit dark or "flat". Next time I swap the strings, I'm going back to the 50s setup- it just seems to suit these particular pickups.

Don't even point!

P1130846.JPG

joebtone

Senior Stratmaster
Silver Member
Jan 26, 2022
Northwest US
So, today I put this back to standard strat wiring for comparison, and yes, the 50s wiring makes the pickups quite a bit more strident than stock. More dynamic, and a bit more noise prone, it would seem. Useful if your pickups are a bit dark or "flat". Next time I swap the strings, I'm going back to the 50s setup- it just seems to suit these particular pickups.

Don't even point!

View attachment 562687
Probably don’t need to mention it it ....but, check that ground under that hard tail plate.
And...mostly just wanted to say that, that color is awesome. 👍

uncle daddy

Strat-O-Master
May 16, 2020
UK
Probably don’t need to mention it it ....but, check that ground under that hard tail plate.
And...mostly just wanted to say that, that color is awesome. 👍

The red is a Fiat 500 red I got mixed in nitro at a local auto shop. I thought it was a good for the faded fiesta red I was looking for, but of course, red changes depending on the light source.

fiat-500_0.jpg P1130848.JPG

Last edited:

Audiowonderland

Strat-O-Master
Silver Member
Dec 19, 2020
Usa
I use 50's wiring in all of my strats. Can't say that I have found them any different with everything on 10

Latest posts