2015 Fender American Ltd Edition - volume bomb button?

ranbush

New Member!
Aug 11, 2022
Northern California
Hello all - new to this Forum, have a question about a 2015 Fender American Ltd Edition HSS Strat that I bought.

Can anyone tell me what the purpose of the "volume bomb button" on the Humbucker is? I don't need to increase my volume by 289% to play a lead or annoy the neighbors. Is there a schematic on how to re-wire the damn thing?

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 2015 Strat button IMG-3865.JPG
    2015 Strat button IMG-3865.JPG
    148.3 KB · Views: 41

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City
So this is some kind of American Deluxe model? It's got the noiseless pickups and the S-1 switching as well as that pushbutton.

The pushbutton switch was called the "Passing Lane"; it basically bypasses whatever you have the 5-way switch, volume and tones set on and gives you the bridge humbucker at full volume with the tone control bypassed - so you're absolutely correct that is is to bomb out on a solo then instantly return back to whatever settings you were using for the rhythm part.

Here's a service manual for the 2015 American Deluxe HSS Shawbucker model that has some wiring diagrams:

eclecticsynergy

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 23, 2014
NY
A "blower switch" like that won't make your guitar hugely louder. It gives you a slightly louder full-volume humbucker tone that's also a bit brighter. But it doesn't act like a booster pedal.

I'd try it out for awhile before you disable it.
Your amp and/or gain pedals might like it.

Last edited:

ranbush

New Member!
Aug 11, 2022
Northern California
> But it doesn't act like a booster pedal.

Thanks for the reply, but on this '15 Strat the button _is_ a booster pedal. +100% volume gain.

I should try to find another '15 Strat like this model, maybe a previous owner changed this one to make it louder.

John C

Most Honored Senior Member
Silver Member
Jul 17, 2012
Kansas City

Thanks for the reply, but on this '15 Strat the button _is_ a booster pedal. +100% volume gain.

I should try to find another '15 Strat like this model, maybe a previous owner changed this one to make it louder.

Maybe there's an issue with the volume pot - it shouldn't be much different than the normal position 1 (humbucker by itself); the only time it should be a big jump is if you've got the volume turned down and then hit the button. Sorry for misleading you I shouldn't have used your term to "bomb out" on a solo; I was thinking that you're playing a funky rhythm in position 4 (neck + middle) with the volume down a bit and you want to immediately move to an EVH-type solo sound.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
Surely it’s effect re volume will be dependent on where it is set prior to pressing it? If you’re playing on Vol 2 on tge neck and suddenly take it to flat out, no tone, on the ‘bucker, the change will be substantial?

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now
I have this on my American Deluxe. Just don't use it unless you want it.

Like mentioned above it should only be a massive increase of you're running normally at reduced volume. If there's no battery in the guitar, then it's not likely been modded by a previous owner to be an actual boost.

ranbush

New Member!
Aug 11, 2022
Northern California
Thanks to all for the informative replies; now I'm understanding how the guitar is meant to behave.

I should have mentioned that I am playing the Strat thru a Fender Blues Junior with the amp's Volume and Master cranked to get a little distortion when I play my Tele and Les Paul thru the Blues Junior.

So, when I play this Strat and I hit the "+100% Volume" button, the guitar bypasses its own tone and volume settings and the Humbucker goes straight to the settings on the Blues Junior, aka "Eleven and-a-half".

As mentioned by more experienced people here, the guitar is only doing what it was designed to do. Don't blame the guitar! 8)

> Don't push the button?
Simple solution!! Problem solved.

Thanks again for the reality check.

eclecticsynergy

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 23, 2014
NY

Apologies - didn't know the American Standard had an active booster with battery power.
I wrongly assumed it was just a blower switch, which is more common I think.

Wound_Up

You can call me Duane 😁
Jan 23, 2020
NW LA
Apologies - didn't know the American Standard had an active booster with battery power.
I wrongly assumed it was just a blower switch, which is more common I think.
What's this "blower switch" you keep referring to? There's no blower on any, guitar ive ever seen so why would it need a "blower switch"?

eclecticsynergy

Senior Stratmaster
Sep 23, 2014
NY
"Blower switch" is a common term for a switch that bypasses all volume & tone controls and wires the bridge pickup directly to the output jack.

It gives a brighter tone without the loading of the pots, and also acts as sort of a preset since you don't have to change the blade switch or knobs to get instant full strength sound.

Latest posts