1960 strat

RobZ69

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 22, 2017
The Netherlands
I had the same interrogation on the Neck. It looks like a curved board at the headstock but a slab board at the neck heel...
moreover the pickguard is very white for a 1960 nitrate guard. If it was changed in 64 the screw between the middle and neck pickups shouldn’t be on the center but shift to the middle pickup
To me eyes, that picture of the headstock shows a slab board too...
Not curved. But maybe I'm wrong.

xke38

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2010
1st floor
Here are pics of my neck for reference.
ce4ffade3e6da1dcc22db83edab3d023.jpg

951db6a9424cd89d9041158e34f7cd34.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

To me eyes, that picture of the headstock shows a slab board too...
Not curved. But maybe I'm wrong.

A pre-CBS slab-board neck should show a slight curve between the nut and headstock (see 2nd photo). The designation "curved board" refers to the underside of the rosewood, which is curved as of mid-1962 as opposed to being straight as is the case for a slab-board.

RobZ69

Senior Stratmaster
Apr 22, 2017
The Netherlands
A pre-CBS slab-board neck should show a slight curve between the nut and headstock (see 2nd photo). The designation "curved board" refers to the underside of the rosewood, which is curved as of mid-1962 as opposed to being straight as is the case for a slab-board.

Yes I understand.

But I was referring to the photos in this post...

This guitar to me is a question mark... @Adam Wolfaardt You remember?

It was authenticated by someone I trust as a 1960 guitar, sent back to Fender in 1964 for a factory refin. You'll see that in the additional pictures I provide.

I must however admit that I have some doubts, but I have not seen the guitar in person, nor have I had more detailed pictures than the ones provided. It looks like a curved board at the headstock but a slab board at the neck heel, which is odd. Secondly, according the the evaluator, the pickguard was made in 1964 to accomodate the guitar earlier screw pattern. According to the seller the guitar was sent back for a wood bacteria treatment and thus had a complete body/neck refin, so this explains the later logo (three patent numbers), which is also in line with the factory refin body and neck markings.

I would ask more pictures, before moving ahead. I think the last price he asked was 13k€.

View attachment 399392 View attachment 399395 View attachment 399393 View attachment 399398 View attachment 399394 View attachment 399396 View attachment 399397 View attachment 399399 View attachment 399400 View attachment 399401

xke38

Strat-Talker
Jan 13, 2010
1st floor
This is the headstock of the guitar in question - the rosewood is not curved and therefore not in accordance with normal slab-board specifications:

.jpg

Normally, a slab-board headstock should look like this - note the curved edge to the fretboard:

proxy.jpg

stevierayfan91

DEEPLY SHY.
Feb 20, 2011
Private.
Going through the replies, I'm curious what you all would think about this restored '69 Strat. Did they do a good job with it?

Hi , @TomGuitars

There wasn’t a price listed but the shop appears to have taken out most of the original parts such as pickups etc on that 1979 Strat.

I don’t think with the original pickups, tuners etc. gone that it would be considered restored. More modified of original condition.